VOGONS

First post, by veggies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long-time lurker, first post here. I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to using these devices in tandem. I'm just looking for the best possible sound experience to go with my SC-55mkII.

I've heard some talk of using a soundfont to emulate an AWE64, but wouldn't that require setting DOSBox to source its sound input from two different places?

What about physically installing an AWE64 card into my motherboard? Would DOSBox pick it up and run with it, or is it going to continue emulating sb16?

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unlikely that you would need AWE synth at the same time as SC-55. SB/SB16 can be done with MIDI in several ways.

There are a handful of titles that utilize AWE hardware directly (for custom sounds, etc). This is not supported by DOSBox.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a modern PC, you likely can't install an AWE64 as that's ISA only and consumer ISA boards died long ago.

PCem does have AWE32 emulation which emulates the EMU8000 chip itself but it's a bit incomplete (sounds a bit more aliased than the real awe and it's not as noisy as the real thing either). AWE32s can't do AWE64's reverb-every-sound/fm stuff either, but can at least use the same software package and driver set and have the same software compatibility - and of course your modern pc has to be just modern enough to handle the games that would exploit the AWE32.

apsosig.png
long live PCem