VOGONS

First post, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Although clone ISA cards exists I'm looking for a modern version for someone who can design and build this if it hasn't been done. This is targeted toward modern systems which now lack ISA and legacy PCI slots. All modern systems can now be made fanless which adds to the longevity of this approach to use legacy MIDI devices on modern computers. Don't get me wrong as I still cherish my dozens of 486->PCjr systems I have but there is no need to wear those down when something modern can do the job. Obviously the sound effects will be lacking as I don't believe there is any PCIe sound card capable of sound effects in real DOS nor any PCI sound card that can work with these new chipsets. But even with the MT-32 alone it does enhance the overall ambience over any stand alone internal PC Speaker for sound.

DOS still for the moment functions on SkyLake, Kaby Lake, and the Coffee Lake aka 300 Series motherboards. The target will be for those games that support the MT-32 and the SC-88.

The MPU-401 PCI Express x1 Card will use a spare slot and not tie up a PCIe x16 slot unnecessarily.

On the Rear Bracket of the card should have:
A MIDI OUT full size connector
A MIDI IN full size connector
A Gameport connector for use with the standard gameport/joystick breakout MIDI interface cable used commonly by Sound Blaster

Hopefully this can work in Pure DOS to intercept MIDI signals to send to a MIDI unit such as the MT-32 or other MIDI sound device.

Functions in real DOS, Windows 3.1, 9X, and Windows 2000/XP/2003 with drivers if needed.

Reply 1 of 6, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

use a usb to midi cable.. oooh you want to run dos on a pure 4ghz skylake machine. 🤣 I mean, MIDI is just serial uart and PCIe serial uart cards exist so doable sure, but I dont know what it would be driver side. Also, PCI + PCIe are not like ISA. Anyone can make an ISA card. PCIe is a whole nother ball game with its high speed timings.

so yeah 🤣, good luck with your request. Ill be interested in seeing your working prototype in dos6!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 6, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No USB to MIDI functionality would work (at the moment) in real DOS (3.21-7.10). 😀
This a pure PCIe x1 MIDI interface card running in real DOS just as you would with the ISA version.

You don't need a 4GHz SkyLake, even the lowest end CPU Dual Core can be underclocked down to 800MHz and run fanless. You can even disable the 2nd core and it'll run even cooler and use less wattage.

Starting with Haswell PCI Express slots started to phase out Legacy PCI slots completely so PCI Express x1 is a better choice as it should remain on desktops at least for another 10 years. ISA slots died at the P4 era but some industrial motherboards exist but nowhere near the Sandy Bridge era and later.

If this can be done by someone or a group of people it would be a tremendous asset to the retro community.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Main problem with PCI-E is that you cannot use any of the cheap FPGAs for it, you need one with hardware gigabit transceivers and those tend to be expensive. Another problem is actually talking PCI-E, though I think there are IP cores that can be used that do that work for you.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CMI 8738 based cards let's you access the MPU-401 interface and FM part behind a PCI to PCIe bridge. It even exists a tool for remapping the ports.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

CMI 8738 based cards let's you access the MPU-401 interface and FM part behind a PCI to PCIe bridge. It even exists a tool for remapping the ports.

The question is there a CMI 8738 PCIe card with the MPU-401 interface via the gameport to use a breakout cable to the MT-32 or other synth?

Then you'd just need a DOS driver for the CMI 8738 to make it appear as a Sound Blaster card for the digitized voice effects and the card would pass the MIDI signals to a real synth.

The other possibility is the sound card can intercept the MIDI signals then run it through a virtual MUNT within the card itself where you will have to upload the proper Synth ROM yourself to a small removable 8 pin BIOS chip (commonly found on motherboards for easy replacement and cheap cost) then mixes out the sound card output combined or its own sound output jack to separate it from the digitized effects jack.

I'm not sure if it's possible but could a virtual DOSBOX sound emulation and virtual MUNT be done on a PCIe sound card and it would intercept all the sound card and MIDI signals and output them? You'd need the sound card to have its own CPU so it'd be transparent and the sound card could work in real DOS unaware of what's going on.

Reply 6 of 6, by solartony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

has anyone come across a windows 2000 driver to enable a physical
midi port with midi in/out thru the pc mobo gameport ?

the pc gameport is roland mpu-401 spec compatible
and allows midi in/out thru pins 12(out) & 15(in) ...

peace