VOGONS

First post, by Yart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I recently acquired a Gravis Ultrasound revision 3.73. It's a pretty cool card! It makes the sound! I like the sound! Sound is my friend. But the kind of sound that is not my friend, is the sound that doesn't sound like a friendly sound. Poor Adlib emulation is pretty menacing to my ears. Not friendly sound. No.

Is there a way to disable the fake Adlib emulation with SBOS? It really sounds like butts. Like, out of tune butts. I know the ACE has a jumper of sorts that allows disabling it, but I'm wondering if there's a mod or something that could disable this on a Classic card too since both cards share the same GF1 chip.

Also for the big question: Does anyone know what all the jumpers on the card do? There's absolutely nothing in the manual about these. I'm talking about JP4, JP5, JP6, and JP9. By default they're all set to "CLOSED, OPEN, CLOSED, OPEN"

Lastly, there's two CD IN connectors. One has four pins (CD IN 1) and one has three (CD IN 2). Is CD IN 2 just left/right and the center being ground? I never seen a CD connector with only 3 pins before. Maybe I'll just hook up the PC speaker to it or somethin'. Beep is not enemy. Beep is ally.

I like beep.

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yart wrote:

Is there a way to disable the fake Adlib emulation with SBOS? It really sounds like butts. Like, out of tune butts. I know the ACE has a jumper of sorts that allows disabling it, but I'm wondering if there's a mod or something that could disable this on a Classic card too since both cards share the same GF1 chip.

My suggestion is to not use SBOS . Use another sound card that actually has hardware Sound Blaster compatibility along with your Gravis . IMHO, life is too short to waste with SBOS, if you have the choice (same goes for Mega-Em's Sound Blaster emulation).

Reply 2 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for jumpers :

http://www.urr.ca/dosdrivers/gravis%20ultraso … classic/gus.txt

Gravis Ultrasound 'Classic' jumper settings
===========================================

JP2 - GAMEPORT
--------------
E = Enable D = Disable

Base Address Jumper Block 4 5 6 7
---------------------------------
210 OFF ON ON ON 😐||
220 ON OFF ON ON |:||
230 OFF OFF ON ON ::||
240 ON ON OFF ON ||:|
250 OFF ON OFF ON 😐:|
260 OFF ON ON OFF |::|

All other jumper blocks
-----------------------
ON OFF ON OFF |:|:

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Second that. Back in the day I even gave up on them entirely when I didn't have any other card available (and couldn't afford one either). At least the PC speaker worked...

Any decent SBPro2 clone would work fine next to the GUS - an ESS688 or ESS1868 would be entirely appropriate as that's basically making a two-card GUS Extreme 😉

Just make sure the GUS isn't on 220/7 (or 5)/1 and that the "SBPro2" is and you're good to go. Only question is which one does the (General) MIDI.

Reply 4 of 4, by Yart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those JP2 jumpers aren't on my card. I found that document once but it didn't match up with the one I have. JP2 is part of the expansion card's header.

These are the extra jumpers I was talking about:
DxQOWK7.jpg
The manual says nothing. 😖

The address jumper is down below. It's JP1. For shutting off the Gameport I use a parameter when initializing the GUS (ultrinit.exe -dj)

@the suggestions to get a real card instead of SBOS: Yea SBOS is probably a bad idea, but I wanted to try it out anyways. I was impressed that MegaEm didn't use a TSR, but it only does original SB Mono. Still pretty cool though! And it doesn't do a poor imitation of Adlib either (it doesn't try to emulate it at all, so you can pair it with a real Adlib). The MT-32 soundfont was neat on games that didn't rely on new instruments through Sysex commands.

But yea, getting a second card is absolutely in the plans. I'd probably use the second card for the gameport and MIDI to be honest. Thanks for the suggestions!

So far I'm liking it, but it's definitely an overrated card. I wouldn't recommend people paying the going price of auction sites for one. Jazz Jackrabbit and the other Epic Megagames games written to take advantage of the card do sound amazing though...!!

Also, 🤣 @ "Mike In".