VOGONS

First post, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mentioned about getting MT-32 on another hardware site and them "local gurus" went nuts (without being helpful in any meaningful way) after I told that MPU-401 is not on my priority shopping list (486 build). Were they right? I expected to manage with sound blaster 16, but now I have my doubts.

Oh, one more thing (though I kept it to myself in the initial discussion) - I am emulation averse, so I'd probably rather get the real thing than running SoftMPU and alike.

Reply 1 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking for a list of dos games that require an intelligent mode MPU-401

Another list is on the emulator's page https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/wiki/Compati … gent-Mode-Games

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For some Sierra games, there's a patch. It uses the ancient SB-MIDI interface instead of MPU-401,
which may only work with Creative cards or 1:1 clones that mimic the Sound Blaster's "brain" (DSP).
It can be found at sierrahelp.com.

I'd also like to add that not all MT-32 games require true intelligent mode.
Some of them are happy already if the card responds with the ACK signal (acknowledged).

That's why some higher quality PCI/ISA sound cards from the 90s may work with them,
even though they do not really support intelligent mode (except for that single command).

Anyway, just saying. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//