VOGONS

First post, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.
I want to build a computer that can run both Windows 95 and late DOS games, so I need to find a sound card that is compatible with both systems.
Here are the parts I have:
CPU: Intel Pentium MMX 233
MB: Legend (Lenovo) VX586 with Intel chip set, and it has a QDI sticker on the back of the board, four PCI slot and three ISA 16 bit slot, no AGP slot
Memory: 128MB SD RAM, can be upgrade to 256MB
Video card: Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM T PCI (cannot seem to find any driver working for this video card in Windows 95)
Video accelerator: 3DFX Voodoo 4MB
Sound card: Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4550 (Also cannot find any driver works for it)
Hard drive: Seagate 9GB
Plus floppy and CD-ROM drive.
Currently I can get most of these stuff working, but cannot find drivers that works in Windows 95 for the video card and sound card. I think the reason is because maybe they are OEM cards, and need specific drivers?
So what is the most compatible sound card that works well in both Windows and DOS without driver issues?
Also I want to use MIDI, I have both MT-32 and SC-55, so it would be nice if I could use them with the sound card.
Thank you!

Reply 1 of 10, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone in the forum have suggest that I use a sound blaster 16, I have done some research, it looks like to be very compatible. But there are so many models to choose from, a lot of the specs I do not understand.
So anyone can suggest a model that is easy to works with would be really nice.
Also OPL3 is important for me, so its better to have a card have OPL3 chip on it.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gelin1993 wrote:
badmojo wrote:

Snag yourself a CT2230 and bob will be your uncle.

Would you please explain the features of this model? What is good and what is the know issues.
Thank you!

Here is an article to help distinguish between the different SB16 configurations.
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/s … ibulations.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gelin1993 wrote:
Hello everyone. I want to build a computer that can run both Windows 95 and late DOS games, so I need to find a sound card that […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone.
I want to build a computer that can run both Windows 95 and late DOS games, so I need to find a sound card that is compatible with both systems.
Sound card: Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4550 (Also cannot find any driver works for it)

I have no idea what model the CT4550 is (if it even exists), I've done a Google search and could hardly find any trace of that card model's existence. Your card could be either an AWE64 Value or an AWE64 Gold, you should be able to find Windows 95-compatible drivers on the VOGONS Vintage Driver Library, here are a couple that should help you out:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=43,36

This sound card should work perfectly fine with DOS and external MIDI synths (bear in mind that drivers such as CTCM (PnP Configuration Manager) and AWEUTIL may be required for native DOS operations). Since you seem to prefer genuine OPL3 over CQM (which is used in the AWE64 and other similar-era Creative cards) this might not be a permanent fix, but it should keep you occupied until you manage to grab a card with genuine OPL3.

Reply 6 of 10, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
gelin1993 wrote:
badmojo wrote:

Snag yourself a CT2230 and bob will be your uncle.

Would you please explain the features of this model? What is good and what is the know issues.
Thank you!

Here is an article to help distinguish between the different SB16 configurations.
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/s … ibulations.html

Ok, thank you, I will read this first.

Reply 7 of 10, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
I have no idea what model the CT4550 is (if it even exists), I've done a Google search and could hardly find any trace of that c […]
Show full quote
gelin1993 wrote:
Hello everyone. I want to build a computer that can run both Windows 95 and late DOS games, so I need to find a sound card that […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone.

I have no idea what model the CT4550 is (if it even exists), I've done a Google search and could hardly find any trace of that card model's existence. Your card could be either an AWE64 Value or an AWE64 Gold, you should be able to find Windows 95-compatible drivers on the VOGONS Vintage Driver Library, here are a couple that should help you out:

This sound card should work perfectly fine with DOS and external MIDI synths (bear in mind that drivers such as CTCM (PnP Configuration Manager) and AWEUTIL may be required for native DOS operations). Since you seem to prefer genuine OPL3 over CQM (which is used in the AWE64 and other similar-era Creative cards) this might not be a permanent fix, but it should keep you occupied until you manage to grab a card with genuine OPL3.

Its probably an OEM card of some sort, so maybe need a specific driver from a computer manufacture to work, but the sticker on the back is gone, so I couldn't tell which one it belonged to.

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a CT4550. It is an AWE64 value. I haven't actually tested it yet, but it should work fine with the standard AWE64 drivers.

Just like the CT4540 is smaller (more integrated) than the CT4390, the CT4550 is more integrated than the CT4380, CT4500, and CT4520.

Here is an old thread where we were discussing the CT4550:
Re: Found an AWE64 - worth?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by gelin1993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
I have a CT4550. It is an AWE64 value. I haven't actually tested it yet, but it should work fine with the standard AWE64 drivers […]
Show full quote

I have a CT4550. It is an AWE64 value. I haven't actually tested it yet, but it should work fine with the standard AWE64 drivers.

Just like the CT4540 is smaller (more integrated) than the CT4390, the CT4550 is more integrated than the CT4380, CT4500, and CT4520.

Here is an old thread where we were discussing the CT4550:
Re: Found an AWE64 - worth?

That is interesting. I have reinstalled Win95 with the card installed. Win95 installed the driver for AWE32 and it works under windows, still no support for DOS, I will try some dos drivers and see what happens.

Reply 10 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the best sound card for both Windows 95 and DOS

AudioTrix Pro ?
EWS64 XL ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//