Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-11-14 @ 22:51

This thread is going to attempt to document the motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA.

I stuck it in sound due to it being used for some PCI sound cards.

ALI:
Aladdin 4
Aladdin 5

AMD:
640 (with 645 bus controller) (relabeled Via VP-2)
750 (751 / 756)
760 (762 / 768)

Intel:
430TX (need to test - not listed in YMF driver readme as supporting DDMA)
440LX (need to test - listed in YMF driver readme as supporting DDMA)
440BX
i810 ?
i815 ?
i815E (ICH2) ?
ICH (southbridge) ?
ICH0 (southbridge) ?
ICH2 (southbridge) ?
ICH3 / ICH3-S (southbridge)?
ICH4 (southbridge) ?
ICH5 (southbridge) ?

ITE:
IT8888 series of PCI-ISA bridge chips

Opti:
Viper-N+ (laptop)

SIS:
5581/82
5597/98
530 (5595 southbridge)
600 (5595 southbridge)
620 (need verification) (5595 southbridge)
63x
645DX+962UA
73x
745 and later?

VIA:
VT82C586B (southbridge)
VT82C686A/B (southbridge)

See the links below for modified configuration utilities for Yamaha YMF based cards.
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-12-04 @ 22:17, edited 17 times in total.
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Baoran » 2018-11-14 @ 23:13

I would love to get them to work on my SiS 496/497 chipset motherboard
Found couple SIS datasheets here viewtopic.php?t=36024
Baoran
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: 2017-4-01 @ 08:39
Location: Finland

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-11-14 @ 23:53

Baoran wrote:I would love to get them to work on my SiS 496/497 chipset motherboard
Found couple SIS datasheets here viewtopic.php?t=36024


I see no mention of D-DMA in the datasheets. I am guessing that there are very few to no 486 chipsets that support D-DMA.
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Kamerat » 2018-11-15 @ 00:17

440LX doesn't do DDMA for some weird reason, it uses the same southbridge as 430TX that does. The ICH chipsets doesn't support DDMA as far as I know. For SiS chipsets I had the SiS 645DX+962UA combo running a YMF744 soundcard in DDMA mode.
User avatar
Kamerat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2014-3-14 @ 19:09
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-11-15 @ 00:51

Kamerat wrote:440LX doesn't do DDMA for some weird reason, it uses the same southbridge as 430TX that does. The ICH chipsets doesn't support DDMA as far as I know. For SiS chipsets I had the SiS 645DX+962UA combo running a YMF744 soundcard in DDMA mode.


440LX is listed in the readme from the drivers from Yamaha for the YMF7x4 cards. Looking at the readme again, it doesn't show the 430TX as supporting DDMA.
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Kamerat » 2018-11-15 @ 00:56

cyclone3d wrote:440LX is listed in the readme from the drivers from Yamaha for the YMF7x4 cards. Looking at the readme again, it doesn't show the 430TX as supporting DDMA.

Have to try out a YMF7x4 on my Abit LX6 sometime then. :)
User avatar
Kamerat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2014-3-14 @ 19:09
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-11-15 @ 01:21

Kamerat wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:440LX is listed in the readme from the drivers from Yamaha for the YMF7x4 cards. Looking at the readme again, it doesn't show the 430TX as supporting DDMA.

Have to try out a YMF7x4 on my Abit LX6 sometime then. :)


Try with the 3.14 set that is in my google drive link.
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby appiah4 » 2018-11-15 @ 04:14

Kamerat wrote:440LX doesn't do DDMA for some weird reason, it uses the same southbridge as 430TX that does. The ICH chipsets doesn't support DDMA as far as I know. For SiS chipsets I had the SiS 645DX+962UA combo running a YMF744 soundcard in DDMA mode.


ICH 5 and earlier support DDMA AFAIK but onwards is nono?
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-11-15 @ 04:38

I think that is correct.. although 810 and 815 don't specifically say they support it in the datasheets although they do list PC/PCI.

815E is paired with ICH2.

I will be doing testing to verify although I am pretty sure that they do since a modified setupds.exe already exists for ICH2, ICH4 and ICH5.

The datasheets do not mention D-DMA but they do mention LPC DMA which seems to be just a slightly different implementation that should work the same from what I understand about it.
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Kamerat » 2018-11-15 @ 05:12

appiah4 wrote:ICH 5 and earlier support DDMA AFAIK but onwards is nono?

Please have a look at the chart in my signture, do you see any ICH chipsets tested successfully with DDMA?
User avatar
Kamerat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2014-3-14 @ 19:09
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby appiah4 » 2018-11-15 @ 05:18

Kamerat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:ICH 5 and earlier support DDMA AFAIK but onwards is nono?

Please have a look at the chart in my signture, do you see any ICH chipsets tested successfully with DDMA?

Nope.. Strange, though. Scientific method for the win here. I have an ES1938 without a PC/PCI header that I have used successfully on an i810 PC using Win9x though, maybe it was using something other than DDMA.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Kamerat » 2018-11-15 @ 05:21

appiah4 wrote:Nope.. Strange, though. Scientific method for the win here. I have an ES1938 without a PC/PCI header that I have used successfully on an i810 PC using Win9x though, maybe it was using something other than DDMA.

Probably ESS own TDMA mode or one of the WBDMA modes, but it doesn't work very well on ICH chipsets.
User avatar
Kamerat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2014-3-14 @ 19:09
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Baoran » 2018-11-15 @ 06:58

Does Intel 82801BA southbridge support ddma?
Baoran
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: 2017-4-01 @ 08:39
Location: Finland

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Kamerat » 2018-11-15 @ 07:32

Baoran wrote:Does Intel 82801BA southbridge support ddma?

No.
User avatar
Kamerat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 856
Joined: 2014-3-14 @ 19:09
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby appiah4 » 2018-11-15 @ 07:33

Kamerat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:Nope.. Strange, though. Scientific method for the win here. I have an ES1938 without a PC/PCI header that I have used successfully on an i810 PC using Win9x though, maybe it was using something other than DDMA.

Probably ESS own TDMA mode or one of the WBDMA modes, but it doesn't work very well on ICH chipsets.


Oh yeah, it was TDMA.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby Baoran » 2018-11-16 @ 23:00

Any chance to get VIA VT8237 southbridge to work without dsdma?
Baoran
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: 2017-4-01 @ 08:39
Location: Finland

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby canthearu » 2018-11-17 @ 02:18

Everyone should note that while these chipsets support DDMA, it doesn't automatically mean that motherboards that have these chipsets will be able to use it properly.

I have an ABIT SL-30T motherboard that stubbornly refuses to enable legacy access on any sound card that I have tested (Yamaha YMF724, SB-Live, ESS Solo-1) except for Aureal Vortex based cards.
canthearu
Member
 
Posts: 285
Joined: 2018-5-26 @ 01:00

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-11-17 @ 04:03

canthearu wrote:Everyone should note that while these chipsets support DDMA, it doesn't automatically mean that motherboards that have these chipsets will be able to use it properly.

I have an ABIT SL-30T motherboard that stubbornly refuses to enable legacy access on any sound card that I have tested (Yamaha YMF724, SB-Live, ESS Solo-1) except for Aureal Vortex based cards.


Yeah, the BIOS and implementation is going to play a part. I am just trying to get a full list of those chipsets that support D-DMA.
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-12-04 @ 16:33

So looking into chipsets that support DDMA but that don't work in practice at least on some motherboards, I am thinking that DDMA is not being enabled by the BIOS.

This looks to be a possible issue with some VIA chipset based motherboards at least. I have not looked into other chipsets yet.

I'm going to see if I can make a utility that will change the register settings to enable DDMA on these chipsets when they don't work by default.

I wonder if PCISet or WPCREDT/WPCRSET would be able to do this.... going to test and see if it does. If it does, then that would make it that much easier to make a stand-alone utility just for this purpose.
User avatar
cyclone3d
l33t
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Motherboard chipsets that support D-DMA

Postby j^aws » 2018-12-04 @ 21:14

^^ You don't have this chipset on the list:

SiS 600/5595

I've tested this with SB-Link and IIRC, S-IRQ and PC/PCI DMA settings, so should have a fallback for DDMA.
j^aws
Oldbie
 
Posts: 665
Joined: 2013-2-02 @ 19:39
Location: UK

Next

Return to Sound

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: awgamer, BloodyCactus, Eleanor1967 and 3 guests