VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would anyone be able to recommend a stereo mixer that would allow me to mix sound from sc-55, MT-32 and 2 sound cards?
I have been trying to find one from online shops and ebay, but most seem to be using input connectors that I don't know or at least some inputs seem to mono instead of stereo, so I would appreciate any help with finding out if doing something like that is possible.

Reply 1 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Second this question.

I'm in the process of building my retro machines into drawers under a desk and intend to put a small (4 or 5U) 19" box on the desk for KVM switch, MIDI patchbay (also a challenge, but that's just availability/price), MIDI modules and a mixer.

What I need is something 19" 1 or 2U with >=8 sets of bog-standard RCA unbalanced connectors - or failing that 5mm or even 3.5mm jacks. Mono isn't a problem if it has 16 of course 😉

I know this sort of beast exists as I saw them at the local electronics shop where I did my Sinclair stuff in the mid 1980s, but can't for the life of me find them now. That means I'm using the wrong search terms. Anyone have any tips?

Reply 2 of 32, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For mixers it is usual that they use XLR or 1/4 inch phone jacks. And it is also usual that they are mono. You can get cables that have 3.5mm on one end and two 1/4" on the other. A nice mixer that doubles as a USB sound card with 4 or 5 inputs can be had for less than 100€.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1/4 inch phono plug to RCA jack adapters are pretty ubiquitous. That's the way I usually go.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 32, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any models that would allow mixing at least 4 stereo inputs? I guess that is the main question. I have seen one that had 2 stereo channels with RCA and 2 mic/line in channels with XLR, but it is hard to find one with 4 stereo channels.
With MT-32 and sc-55 it would be really annoying and probably cause bad quality sound too if I first connected mt-32 output to SC-55 input and then SC55 output to first sound cards line in and then first sound cards line out to second sound cards line in...

Reply 6 of 32, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

2 mono channels are the same as one stereo channel of course. You get free balance control as a bonus 😉

Most good 19" rack mixers are set up in such a way that each mono channel has its own fader or volume knob. Usually two channels are paired (L and R), but nothing stops you from plugging two modules with only a mono output into each channel.

If you can't find a mixer that has enough inputs, you could add a 19" audio patchbay. Plug its outputs into the mixer's inputs, and the outputs of the modules into the patchbay's inputs. Then you can use patch cables to only connect the modules you need at a particular moment to the mixer...

Reply 7 of 32, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

Is there any models that would allow mixing at least 4 stereo inputs?

Your best bet is the Behringer RX1602. It's a rack mixer designed specifically for stereo sources (up to 8 of them): https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RX160 … ount-line-mixer

It uses standard 1/4" jacks. Depending on your sound sources you can get different cables with RCA to 1/4" or stereo 1/8" to mono 1/4" jacks, etc. I have a whole bunch of different cables I use with different sound modules depending on their output jacks.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 32, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote:
Baoran wrote:

Your best bet is the Behringer RX1602. It's a rack mixer designed specifically for stereo sources (up to 8 of them): https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RX160 … ount-line-mixer

It uses standard 1/4" jacks. Depending on your sound sources you can get different cables with RCA to 1/4" or stereo 1/8" to mono 1/4" jacks, etc. I have a whole bunch of different cables I use with different sound modules depending on their output jacks.

I found it even reasonably cheap here https://www.gear4music.fi/en/PA-DJ-and-Lighti … -Rack-Mixer/6D7
I just have to think about it because I am not sure about if rack type of mixer is right one fore me. I could always try to cut off the rack mounts on the side though.

Reply 9 of 32, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I could always try to cut off the rack mounts on the side though.

You could also just remove them by unscrewing them. 😉

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 10 of 32, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote:
Baoran wrote:

You are right. The site I linked didn't have the side pictures that showed the screws 😀

Reply 11 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote:
Baoran wrote:

That looks like the exact thing I want - thanks 😀

There's someone selling one 2nd hand more or less locally (2 hours drive/train ride away), let's see what sort of offer he'll accept...

Shponglefan wrote:
Baoran wrote:

Why am I reminded of the Hydraulic Press Channel? 😜

Reply 13 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Meh, Behringer is pretty much the low-end of "pro" audio stuff - which is why it's so affordable. It doesn't look great, but apart from that burst cap it should all work. You see much worse horror-stories inside most consumer-grade stuff. Also, we work with old computer crap. Bad caps are a fact of life in electronics. In fact I like them in a perverse way: if something dies after time, it's very frequently caused by caps, which I can fix.

Reply 14 of 32, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Meh, Behringer is pretty much the low-end of "pro" audio stuff - which is why it's so affordable. It doesn't look great, but apart from that burst cap it should all work. You see much worse horror-stories inside most consumer-grade stuff. Also, we work with old computer crap. Bad caps are a fact of life in electronics. In fact I like them in a perverse way: if something dies after time, it's very frequently caused by caps, which I can fix.

One thing that might make it worse with retro hardware is that I read from reviews that there is no RF protection and things like cell phones and monitors instantly cause distortion.

Reply 15 of 32, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, Behringer gear is at the lower-end for sure.

But at the same time, so are a lot of the sound modules and sound cards we're using too. An MT-32 is not considered a professional piece of gear; it's actually criticized by professionals for being 'noisy' and low end compared to something like a Roland D-50 or D-550. Using something like Behringer gear for lower-end sound modules kind of fits. It's all the same range of gear quality.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 16 of 32, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote:

Yeah, Behringer gear is at the lower-end for sure.

But at the same time, so are a lot of the sound modules and sound cards we're using too. An MT-32 is not considered a professional piece of gear; it's actually criticized by professionals for being 'noisy' and low end compared to something like a Roland D-50 or D-550. So honestly using something like Behringer gear for lower-end sound modules kind of fits. It's all the same lower-end of music/audio gear.

I didn't see anything that low quality inside my MT-32 though. There must be something in between professional and low end.

Reply 17 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guys don't kid yourselves, a high-end pro device would never be the standard in computers/gaming at the time - it would never catch on , not then not now.
Even the so called lowly mt-32 was something like 500$ back in the day which was a considerable amount of money. Let's be realistic here , the average soundcard at the time (adlib/gameblaster/sb1 and clones) was way worse than the mt-32 🤣 . Gaming did not need a pro-quality synth.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 18 of 32, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

I didn't see anything that low quality inside my MT-32 though. There must be something in between professional and low end.

The MT-32 was basically a budget module featuring the LA synthesis found in the flagship D-50/D-550 synthesizers at the time. It was aimed at the prosumer marker (low-end professional/enthusiast market). While it was expensive compared to your average consumer sound card, it was comparatively cheap compared to something like a professional D-50 or D-550 synthesizer.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2018-11-21, 23:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 19 of 32, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Even the so called lowly mt-32 was something like 500$ back in the day which was a considerable amount of money.

To put that price in perspective though, a professional synthesizer would have cost a couple thousand dollars. A $500 MT-32 would have been inexpensive in comparison if someone was looking to get started in music production.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build