VOGONS

PC for MT-32

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slightly OT, but the 11th Hour (and 7th Guest for that matter) are General MIDI games, and will NOT sound great on the MT-32. Should sound sub par most of the time! If it sounds OK, it's chance only, the music was composed for GM and I don't believe it was converted for MT-32 playback.

Reply 21 of 26, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No. 7guest/11hour both support MT-32 natively and both support GM natively without any converts, do you believe or not. And listen this music on original 7th Guest CD2 (it's CD Audio) and compare it to GM SC-55 and to LA MT-32. You'll hear that CD sounds very closely to LA exactly.

Reply 22 of 26, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tiido, you know that your motherboard is usable with SBpro/clones and SB16 and it still has a big bugs with AWE, GUS GF1 and with PCI speed. Unfortunately.
Yet fastest trouble-free boards with ISA bus are ASRock ConRoe865 (hw+sw mod), Anovo AIMB-865 (sw+bsel mod), Itox G7S620-N-G (sw+bsel+vcciopll+volt mod). They have issues only with GUS PnP and Goldfinch, other cards work normally. PCI speed is also normal.

Reply 23 of 26, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All I know is, 7th Guest was composed for GM, and the 7/11 soundtrack CD has SC-55 recordings. George Sanger has talked about it being a GM composition, and regardless of whether it was edited for MT-32 playback or not, it doesn't sound anywhere near as good compared to the native SC version.

Edit: I just went through the entire CD audio track of T7G, and all MIDI recordings are SC-55.

Reply 25 of 26, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've listened all 3, SC-55, MT-32 and CD. You're right, CD is recorded from SC-55.

Spikey wrote:

the 11th Hour (and 7th Guest for that matter) are General MIDI games, and will NOT sound great on the MT-32

IMHO they sound on MT-32 better than on SC-55, I don't like SC-55's 7thGuest sound compared to MT-32. But CD track from SC-55, yes!

Reply 26 of 26, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you guys should post your impressions of MT 32 vs GM soundtracks (and others) in this thread:
Games that support multiple MIDI standards...

😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.