VOGONS

Roland Super MPU64 Question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I did notice that with several mixers that I looked at. Regarding the mixers that run into the thousands, those are overkill for just wanting to enjoy dos music. I was mainly after a decent quality mixer that had a minimum of 9 stereo inputs as all will be used, individual volume controls, a master volume, on and off switch and a 1/4" or RCA output. This mixer fits the bill thankfully. Would've preferred it to not be in rack format but I couldn't find anything similar that wasn't. Well that wasn't super expensive anyway.

Reply 21 of 37, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
borgie83 wrote:

Regarding the mixers that run into the thousands, those are overkill for just wanting to enjoy dos music.

I would hope so.

borgie83 wrote:

I was mainly after a decent quality mixer that had a minimum of 9 stereo inputs as all will be used

Why such a big mixer instead of separate input selectors and a 2-input mixer? You are only ever going to be mixing SFX and Music right?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 22 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because there will be a MT-32, CM-64, SC-55MKII, MU100, SB Live, SB Pro2, AWE32, AWE64 Gold and Xonar DS plugged into the mixer. 1 larger mixer allows all to be plugged in without having to unplug anything depending on what I'm using at the time. All will then output to a set of Pioneer speakers. Won't need to select each input as only the sound from the PC/Module turned on will be used.

Reply 23 of 37, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> Because there will be a MT-32, CM-64, SC-55MKII, MU100, SB Live, SB Pro2, AWE32, AWE64 Gold and Xonar DS plugged into the mixer.

Yes but why? You wont be mixing them all at the same time. Switch boxes cost next to nothing, good 8 port mixers cost heaps.

Reply 24 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:

> Because there will be a MT-32, CM-64, SC-55MKII, MU100, SB Live, SB Pro2, AWE32, AWE64 Gold and Xonar DS plugged into the mixer.

Yes but why? You wont be mixing them all at the same time. Switch boxes cost next to nothing, good 8 port mixers cost heaps.

TBH, if you're after good sounding music, don't use switch boxes, they introduce line noise. And the Rolls mixers aren't that expensive for what they do. Besides, the amount of cables will be the same.

Or get a second-hand analog rack mixer by a big name in Music land - there are some good choices available from Roland, Yamaha, Boss, Kawai that won't do more than let's say 200 bucks on the secondary market because real musicians tend to go for the dozens-of-inputs Mackie mixing tables and the like...

Reply 26 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

YawetaG, your reply didn't show up when I made my reply. What you stated is why I choose to use a mixer over a switch box. Line noise even if it is only slight and also due to the mixer allowing me to gain volume plus have more control over my sound. I also can do things like network Doom for 2 player action and have the sound effects working from 2 Pc's and the music coming from a midi module, all whilst being able to adjust the volume independtly on the fly. A switch box is just too limited and basic.

Reply 27 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used a little passive 4 input mixer by Rolls for a few years now for my retro machines and I think it's the beez knees - solid choice there I'd say borgie mate.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 28 of 37, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

So I decided to return the Rolls MX44 Pro mixers in place of a Rolls RM219 mixer rack. I'll then mount the rack to my desk. Seems to be perfect for what I'm after. Not cheap but I prefer quality anyway.

I have a rolls rm203 which is nearly identical to the 219. great unit.

yawetaG wrote:

BTW, really good analog mixers (as opposed to the cheaper digital mixers such as the Rolls) can run in the thousands of dollars...

the rm203 + rm219 are purely analog mixers, its all opamps inside. check the schematics on rolls website! If you know what you like, you can even roll opamps on these things (you need like 15 of them from memory, been a while since I opened mine), TL082, OPA2604, OPA2134, AD823. I have a photo of the PCB but I cant get to it at work.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 29 of 37, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For ordinary use I have two analogue switch boxes - the KVM for SFX and a small mini-jack switch box for my midi devices - and if there is additional noise from the switching I can't hear it.

Technically the headphone DAC I use for spdif output is also a switchbox as it has 4 inputs.

The output from all three switchboxes go into a 4-port passive line-level mixer, and for day to day usage I think it sounds fantastic.

That being said - if I am really trying to avoid noise (during capturing/recording) I just avoid it altogether and capture SPDIF output where possible.

Reply 30 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It’s not the noise of switches that bothered me (I used those before a mixer) it’s that you’re still left dealing with levels that are all over the shop. My SCC-1 for example belts out the tunes, so its level needs to be cut in half to match the sound cards output. Sure you can try and route stuff through sound cards and use their mixers but that’s a pain in the bum - being able to adjust levels mid-game is the way to go.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 31 of 37, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

It’s not the noise of switches that bothered me (I used those before a mixer) it’s that you’re still left dealing with levels that are all over the shop. My SCC-1 for example belts out the tunes, so its level needs to be cut in half to match the sound cards output. Sure you can try and route stuff through sound cards and use their mixers but that’s a pain in the bum - being able to adjust levels mid-game is the way to go.

Keh? I am not arguing against mixers, I am saying you are probably better off with a 2-4 input passive mixer and a couple of switchboxes instead of a studio-grade 20-input mixer that takes up half your desk.

Reply 32 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So a switch box @ 10" x 5" x 2" and a 4 in 1 mixer @ 4.5" x 1.5" x 4" with a bunch of wires running between them and half the capabilities of a Proper mixer @  19” x 1.75” x 6.5” sounds like a better option to you? I wouldn't exactly say a 19" mixer compared to the combination of a switch box and mixer takes up too much real estate. Especially considering the benefits and cost difference as the Rolls RM219 only costs around $80 more than a separate switch box and mixer. We're also talking about an 8-10 input mixer as opposed to a 20 input. The Rolls RM219 set me back $180 brand new in box. Readily available on eBay.

Reply 33 of 37, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I don't know what switch boxes you are thinking of, but my one is not 10" wide, it is about the same as the mixer which itself is less than 4" wide. My other switch box is a KVM under the monitor and obviously does more than just audio 😀

It's all pretty clean as the ports are in the rear. And I think I have less wires going everywhere as I consolidate input close to the source...i.e. the midi switchbox is right next to a midi stack and munt PC....so only one cable coming from that "area".

Every man's desk to himself 😁

Reply 34 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was talking about this switch box;

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/m.aliexpress. … /689901231.html

I actually really like the look of midi modules stacked up as well as a mixer with the cables visible. Keropi had a good photo of his setup in another thread <3

Btw, BadMojo, hope you've been great 😀 I disappeared for a while so it's been a long time. Took a break from my PC's while I got back into my retro consoles again but now I'm back tinkering with my PC's again 🤣

Back on topic, anyone here used a Roland A-880 midi rack? Thinking about swapping out my small midi box for it it. Just wish the power cable wasn't attached to it as I always replace my power supplies with Australian 240V ones. Looks like I'd need a step down converter for the A-880.

Reply 35 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Back on topic, anyone here used a Roland A-880 midi rack? Thinking about swapping out my small midi box for it it. Just wish the power cable wasn't attached to it as I always replace my power supplies with Australian 240V ones. Looks like I'd need a step down converter for the A-880.

Someone on a local Dutch forum made a 5V DC power supply mod for it (apparently that's what it uses internally)...

BTW, if it's a 220V A-880, it will likely take the 240V fine.

Also keep an eye out for the UM-880, as it's basically an improved A-880 with USB.

Reply 36 of 37, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just looked into the UM-880. Very nice unit. Also read that it accepts a 110-240V universal power supply but looking at the AC 100 connection it appears to use the standard 3 prong PC PSU cable. Not sure how accurate it is that it accepts 240V considering that those cables don't come with an adapter to convert 110-240V. It's just wire so would be putting the 240V straight into the unit itself. Would be scared I'd fry it.

The Roland UM-550 seems more suitable as accepts a single pin DC connection. Can easily use an Australian power supply with it.

Question though, considering that the UM-880 And UM-550 are USB midi devices, wouldn't we run into the same issue with the Super MPU64 with it not being compatible within a Dos environment? Or is it able to be used as a midi through box but with USB capabilities if required?

EDIT: Nevermind. The UM-550 And UM-880 can function as standalone units without the need to use the USB connection so they'll work just fine. Besides lacking a couple of inputs and outputs it looks like the UM-550 Will be more suitable for me given the power connection. Also only need 4-5 inputs and outputs.

Reply 37 of 37, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My two cents for others looking for a dedicated sound mixing solution: get a Behringer RX1602 rack mixer. Quite cheap, sounds great, all the functionality you need. I've been using it for about two years now with my AWE32, MT-32, SC-55 and a couple other devices. Works like a charm and no noticeable noise. 😀

Noise isn't really an issue at all with old devices like the old Rolands: they're quite noisy themselves, so adding a line mixer in between won't be a problem. And I know Behringer had quite a shitty reputation in the past, but they really upped their game the last couple of years, especially since they acquired Midas, a producer of high quality pro audio gear.

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"