VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know there is a dos driver for CS4624 sound chip used in laptops at least, but has anyone tested how the sound blaster compatibility and FM quality in dos is? Like should you expect most dos games to work and does the emulation sound horrible?

Reply 1 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long you run it in DDMA mode or with a PC/PCI connection the Sound Blaster compatibility should be good with the right motherboard, the FM part on the other hand is shit, probably some of the worst of PCI cards that doesn't emulate FM via TSR.

It also got some proprietary modes for DMA emulation, but it's less compatible than the regular ones.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kamerat wrote:

As long you run it in DDMA mode or with a PC/PCI connection the Sound Blaster compatibility should be good with the right motherboard, the FM part on the other hand is shit, probably some of the worst of PCI cards that doesn't emulate FM via TSR.

It also got some proprietary modes for DMA emulation, but it's less compatible than the regular ones.

Any idea about FM emulation and sound quality in dos?
I could get a laptop that has this chip and it might have good compatibility, but if it would sound horrible in dos games, there would be no point.

Reply 3 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made a recording of Doom E1M1 with my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz to give you an idea of FM quality. Note that it only outputs the one channel when playing back stereo FM, so for this games you should select AdLib instead of Sound Blaster for music.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel