VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand that for the Roland CM-32L external music module, that it's advisable to avoid one with a BIOS of version 1.00 because it causes clipping sound problems.

I'm looking at the back of some of my units, and I see that they all have a serial number sticker on them. One starts with ZA, and another starts with ZB. I'm just curious - is it possible that the BIOS 1.00 versions are all say for ones that are labelled "ZA", or does the serial number not indicate what the unit's BIOS might be, in terms of whether or not it's 1.00?

Thanks a lot for any comments.

Reply 1 of 3, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first letter, "Z" represent 0 and is first number in serial#, the next letter and first number represent month/year of manufacture. the last numbers are the rest of the serial number.

<First Character in serial number>, <2 character date mfg code>, <reset of serial number, usually 4 digits>.

Z=0, A=1, B=2 etc.

The 2 character date of mfg code is like "02" is Jan 1981. "01" is Dec 1980. it reset in Nov 1980 = "00" and in 1988 or 1989 as "00" again.

So starting with ZA or ZB, nothing to do with bios version, but if you had like Z**0002, sure, that might mean v1.00 if they never updated it..

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 3, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "clipping" behavior relates to an internal volume setting, and is not remedied by a ROM upgrade. For most cases, the solution is to simply reduce the Master Volume, via SysEx, prior to gameplay.

The "clicking" behavior - poorly understood, if at all, by many who mention it - is addressed by a ROM upgrade. It's also something of a nothingburger. Are you planning to play either Steam-Heart's for the PC-98xx, or Ultima IV for the Atari ST using my SysEx configuration? It's unlikely that you'll ever encounter this behavior with a unit having the v1.00 ROM otherwise.

In any event:

< Ver. 1.02 >
CM-64 --- ZB23350 and up
CM-32L -- ZB24600 and up
DM-48A -- ZB20600 and up (CM-32L Atari bundle)

Reply 3 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the amazing info people! It's really appreciated! I have made an error - I have misinterpreted a video on youtube that mentions the ROM 1.00 issue, and now that I've read the answers above, I realise there is nothing to worry about. The intended purpose of the unit is for PC DOS gaming.

BTW, my serial numbers start with -

ZA41
ZB14