VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: the Gravis PnP, is there any difference in the PCB, between the "regular" version and the Pro version? I have a PnP card, that came out of a Pro box, and it's got a microphone power switch on the PCB. Does the "regular" card have this too? Thanks a lot for any info.

Reply 1 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, they both have. The only difference is a 512K RAM chip and in my case — different CD audio connectors. Here's my regular PnP:

o3Nm7NGm.jpg?1

Here's my PnP Pro:

fnOnH5Pm.jpg

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot.
So the Pro has 8.5MB, when it has 2x 4MB SIMMs?
The regular has a maximum of 8MB? Never 8.5MB?
Please could you explain the CD-ROM audio connectors? Looking at your two photos, they seem to be about the same? Is one for ATAPI (is that also called IDE?), and what is C.L. - is that the proprietory Creative Labs connector?
Thank you!

Edit:
Wikipedia says -
In 2014 a RAM adapter for 72-pin SIMM was produced by retro-computer enthusiasts that made it possible to install 16 MB of RAM on the 'Pro' version without any modifications to the card.

Is this true for the Pro Version 1.0, as well as other versions too? Thanks.

Edit 2:
Apart from compatibility with the GUS Classic, what other sound compatibility standards does the GUS PnP support? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Thanks a lot. So the Pro has 8.5MB, when it has 2x 4MB SIMMs? The regular has a maximum of 8MB? Never 8.5MB? Please could you e […]
Show full quote

Thanks a lot.
So the Pro has 8.5MB, when it has 2x 4MB SIMMs?
The regular has a maximum of 8MB? Never 8.5MB?
Please could you explain the CD-ROM audio connectors? Looking at your two photos, they seem to be about the same? Is one for ATAPI (is that also called IDE?), and what is C.L. - is that the proprietory Creative Labs connector?
Thank you!

Yes, it's 8MB vs 8.5MB. Couldn't tell you about the audio connectors — in my experience, finding the correct cable is never an issue, so I never pay attention to it.

Apart from compatibility with the GUS Classic, what other sound compatibility standards does the GUS PnP support? Thanks.

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. The extra RAM on PnP Pro is precisely for loading up GUS Classic patches when you have no extra RAM modules. Otherwise the standards support between PnP and PnP Pro should be identical: it's SB16/OPL3 (crappy, because it's done in software and not via a dedicated ESS chip like the one GUS Extreme has), General MIDI and MT-32 (again, crappy).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an instrument ROM.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜