VOGONS

First post, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok weird issue

I have a Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 and it works perfectly except one issue. When games like Phantasmagoria and 7th Guest are playing cut scenes off the cd-rom, I get a ticking noise in the background while the disc is being accessed. Almost in sync to the light as it flashes on the drive.

A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

I’ve tried IRQ 5, and I’ve tried setting the High DMA to low (1), I’ve also tried another cdrom drive but I have no audio cable for that one yet. I still get the same ticking though

I have the cdrom audio cable connectedto the sound card and cd audio seems to play perfectly, for example the opening of 7th Guest with the title screen and lightning, music all plays perfectly, only when the following cut scenes start do I get the ticking as the drive is reading.

I even fully re-capped the sound card with quality capacitors. Any ideas?

note I’m playing with original cds, original hardware 486DX2-66, MSDOS 6.22

Last edited by Lo-ResBros on 2018-12-23, 04:23. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
Soltek SL-54U5 Super Socket 7
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
Tyan TitanVX S1470 Socket 7
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88

Reply 1 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure the noise comes via your PC speakers and is not coming from the CD-drive?

If it does really come from the PC-speakers, likely there's some sort of interference between the drive (or another part of the PC, likely the PSU) and the card that causes line noise. First try another drive and other (better quality) cables, then try another PSU.

Reply 2 of 5, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for sure coming from the speakers or headphones. I have a new audio cable coming in the mail so I will be trying that once it comes. I’m also going to remove the older cdrom drive since it uses its own controller card and leave just the newer IDE drive installed (once I get the new audio cable) If that doesn’t work, I’ll try a new PSU next. Thanks!

*Update*
I didn't want to wait for the cable to arrive so I made my own. Same issue still. I completely removed the other cdrom drive, I tried 3 different drives and all the same issue. I tried another slot for the sound card and still the same. I don't have another Sound Blaster card to try or power supplies, so looks like I'll have to track those down and see if it's one or the other.

if anybody else has any ideas for me to try meanwhile, I'd be happy to try anything 😀

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88

Reply 3 of 5, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember having a similar issue back in the day with my Pentium 100. It's just electrical noise coming in, and it's the way things were back then. This is why it was such a big deal when the Sound Blaster Live came out, as its noise floor was way lower than any mainstream card that came before. Today we're spoiled by how quiet and clean the audio output is!

The only solution is likely to be different, more modern sound card or possibly a different motherboard (if the noise is coming in through the ISA bus).

Reply 4 of 5, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I changed out the power supply on my Pentium 90 system to an Athena Tech AT40. All of the thinking noise and sounds it would make when moving the mouse stopped completely. I can't believe how quiet my AWE32 output is.

Change your PSU is my suggestion.

Reply 5 of 5, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions, I bought a Awe64 card with SimmConn adapter on ebay today so I’ll have another sound card to swap out and test with. If it’s still making noise I’ll get a new power supply + ATX to AT adapter next

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88