VOGONS

First post, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I finished my long planned voodoo5/vortex2 build today. By far and away the biggest pain was the Diamond Monster II MX300. I am obviously not the first person to encounter this, but I thought the solution might be of interest, it might save you the 4 hours it took me.

First the problem.

- I have the original driver CD (1.02), so I installed that.
- When the drivers are loading on reboot, it gets to the SB Pro emulation and crashes.
- Bit of searching, some dim memories from my late teens came to bear, and I remembered something about reserving legacy IRQs in the BIOS. 5 and 7 reserved, done.
- The driver install finishes this time, but when the Win98 desktop finally appears, there is an error message saying the card is not installed or malfunctioning.
- Bit more searching, maybe the wrong PCI slot. I had it in the fifth (last). I moved it up to the fourth, and low and behold, windows starts, no error message, and I have a little "music note" icon in the system tray.
- I open that, and yep a nice little Diamond configuration utility. I play around a bit, do the basic speaker test which works, nice.
- Then I go into the A3D demo and run one and BOOM. Garbage across the screen, I thought it fried my V5 for a second. Reboot and no it was just the card.

Deep breath.

- Bit more searching. OK maybe use the reference Aureal Vortex2 drivers. Go to Phil's and download the drivers he recommends for gaming, 2041.
- Totally uninstall any Diamond crap and then install these reference drivers on a relatively clean slate.
- Reboot and ... wow everything works. Nice windows logon sound. Speaker test. And the A3D demo works! Cool! It comes with it's own little tray icon that looks like [A].
- But I still want to get the Diamond software installed...I don't know for sure but I suspect the SPDIF daughterboard probably needs the Diamond drivers to enable it.
- Can I install the Diamond drivers over the top of the Aureal ones and have them work together nicely?

Fast forward.

- Nope. The Diamond installer totally removes the existing drivers and deceives and re-installs the ones it comes with.

*Light bulb*

- Ones it comes with?
- Look into the MX300 install CD. All comes down to one directory called Win9x.
- It appears to a directory mixing up Diamond drivers and programs with the stock Aureal ones. They basically fatpakked the reference Vortex drivers into their own install directory.
- Now what if...I just copied the reference drivers into that directory, overwriting any common files?
- So that when the Monster installer tries to install the Aureal drivers, it installs the reference ones instead? Can't hurt to give it a try after all this.

Fast forward again.

- It worked! I now have a fully functioning MX300 using reference Aureal drivers combined with Diamond's own drivers and add-ons...and I get the Diamond tray icon...and the A3D demos work!
- Just to be sure...I fire up UT and it still works. The graphics and sound are amazing with that V5/A3D2 combo.

I need a drink.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am currently planing an nearly identical system.
I have chosen a Shuttle XPC P4 with SIS AGP4x Chipset.
I will put a relatively cool P4 1,6A Ghz model in it (~40-45 Watt TDP)
I will deactivate Onboard-Sound Sound and put a vortex2 in it. (I also have ymh744 or SBlive or ESS-Solo1)
My main focus is win9x gaming and therefore I think the vortex2 is a good card.
Do you use WDM or VXD drivers? I hope the vortex2 has good wdm-drivers because I need to be able to have sound from mounted-cd's.
I will install my V5-5500 in it and this might be a very good and performant machin for glide/opengl/d3d.

we will see.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 3 of 6, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:
I am currently planing an nearly identical system. I have chosen a Shuttle XPC P4 with SIS AGP4x Chipset. I will put a relativel […]
Show full quote

I am currently planing an nearly identical system.
I have chosen a Shuttle XPC P4 with SIS AGP4x Chipset.
I will put a relatively cool P4 1,6A Ghz model in it (~40-45 Watt TDP)
I will deactivate Onboard-Sound Sound and put a vortex2 in it. (I also have ymh744 or SBlive or ESS-Solo1)
My main focus is win9x gaming and therefore I think the vortex2 is a good card.
Do you use WDM or VXD drivers? I hope the vortex2 has good wdm-drivers because I need to be able to have sound from mounted-cd's.
I will install my V5-5500 in it and this might be a very good and performant machin for glide/opengl/d3d.

we will see.

You should always stick with vxd drivers.

Reply 5 of 6, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah sorry yes you are right. But here's the thing...games that are old enough to use RedBook audio were before the days of meaningful CD copy protection....so you should have no problem burning those images onto real CDs and connecting your CD drive up to the sound card.

Reply 6 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2041 drivers are great as long as you don't go beyond DirectX 7.0a.

If that's the case, use the Diamond drivers or reference 2015. Otherwise you will probably run into kernel / ddhelp crashes and freezing.