VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any definitive way to find out which MIDI standard a game's soundtrack was primarily written for?

When using Mobygames to filter games by sound standards supported, I'm surprised by just how many games require at least a 286 or 386 but support the MT32 AND General MIDI (or Sound Canvas). I always pictured the Sound Canvas as being used a bit later, but there's actually a ton of overlap.

Is it safe to say that most games that support the Sound Canvas probably were designed with that device in mind, since it is the newest? I know some games have different MIDI tracks depending on the sound driver selected, but is this the norm? It seems logical that even when you have separate tracks for certain devices, a composition would still take better advantage of one or the other, depending on the composer's experience or preference... but how can you tell without just listening to every track on every device? I'm not going to obsess over it because I love the sound of both devices, but it'd be nice to know if there is a list compiled somewhere to say which device is preferred for which game. I'm sure there are even some composers that had a love for FM music so their FM tracks sound exceptionally good, even if the MT32 or GM tracks sound more "realistic".

Either a list or just observations would be helpful. If observations could be posted so that they clearly indicate the game and sound device being mentioned, it would make it more easily searchable.

For some background as to why I'm looking into this:

I'm going to be trying to complete my first 386 build and I'm trying to sort out what the specs should be. I know its nearly impossible to have a one size fits all system that covers more than a couple years, but I'm trying to set this system up so that it covers basically all of the earliest VGA games up through the first games that really need a good 486 to run well. The systems specs will most likely consist of:
AM386SX 33Mhz + 64KB 20ns Cache
4MB 70ns RAM
SIIG Enhanced IDE multi-IO card
Diamond Speedstar VGA Tseng ET4000AX ISA
SB2.0 CT1350B + CMS upgrade
Midiman MM401 Inteligent MPU401 interface connected to Roland MT-32 and SC55
I might experiment with a MediaVision Thunderboard, Soundblaster Pro 2.0 or some other older soundcard I have too...

This system will offer no less than four sound standards, so I'll be able to experiment quite a bit. I'm curious about the "preferred" device for each game though, to see if I can hear the difference. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 5, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just listen to both and choose which one you personally like best? For Doom my personal favorite is the Akai SG01k, which is a module from 1996. It didn't exist when Doom's music was written, so is it the the "proper" way to listen to Doom? Absolutely not. Do I care? Absolutely not. 🤣. Just listen to your ears and have fun. What makes MIDI interesting to me is the huge amount of variation and weird things to play with.

For an extreme example, Choujin here supports 7 different music options. I'd say the FM only version sounds the most balanced, but my favorite is the FM+CM-64+SN-U110-07 version. Your ears may not agree though, and that is perfectly natural.

https://youtu.be/Z4jq3ql8etY

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is not by any means definitive, but a good rule of thumb is if the game was made in 1992 or earlier, than MT-32 will be the preferred device. General Midi became pretty popular in 1993 and pretty much took over by 1994 through 1996. There was some overlap, but typically, the GM tracks will sound better than the MT-32 version. One exception is Strike Commander, where the MT-32 track was given some TLC by the music developer and sounds better than the GM version. Then there's personal preference, where someone may have fond memories of the MT-32 version, even if the GM version objectively sounds better. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mortal Kombat II amazingly has 5 different soundtracks: Sound Blaster (FM), Sound Blaster AWE32, Gravis Ultrasound, Roland LAPC-I (MT-32) and Roland SCC-1 (General Midi).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 5, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

This is not by any means definitive, but a good rule of thumb is if the game was made in 1992 or earlier, than MT-32 will be the preferred device. General Midi became pretty popular in 1993 and pretty much took over by 1994 through 1996. There was some overlap, but typically, the GM tracks will sound better than the MT-32 version. One exception is Strike Commander, where the MT-32 track was given some TLC by the music developer and sounds better than the GM version. Then there's personal preference, where someone may have fond memories of the MT-32 version, even if the GM version objectively sounds better. 😀

It's a bold claim so say that music can sound objectively better one one device over another. Sure, it can be more complex from a technical point of view, or have higher sound fidelity (higher bitrate, sample frequency, higher polyphony etc.), but it's not really possible to say that it sounds objectively better, as what sounds good is an inherently subjective thing. It's probably best to just stick to trying to ascertain which device the soundtrack was composed on/for, rather than focusing on which device it sounds better on, as that will always be subjective.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 5 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LunarG wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

It's a bold claim so say that music can sound objectively better one one device over another. Sure, it can be more complex from a technical point of view, or have higher sound fidelity (higher bitrate, sample frequency, higher polyphony etc.), but it's not really possible to say that it sounds objectively better, as what sounds good is an inherently subjective thing. It's probably best to just stick to trying to ascertain which device the soundtrack was composed on/for, rather than focusing on which device it sounds better on, as that will always be subjective.

Sweet, I now have a reputation for making bold claims! 😁

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks