VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Need some help.
I'm looking for a soundcard with all of the following requirements, if it exists:

1.) true Yamaha OPL2/OPL3 core (including repro cards) or ESS ESFM-based chip (anything from ES1688 up to ES1938 Solo-1)

2.) full Sound Blaster Pro compatibility

3.) without the hanging note / midi bug

4.) S/PDIF digital out (with or without modding), including for the OPL/ESFM music

5.) ISA -or- PCI with SB-link/PC-PCI (connectors or header)

So far, the earliest model with an ESS chip & digital out (out-of-the-box) that i found was an ESS Allegro (ES1989S), so that wont work for me.
And then there's the AWE32 CT3900 & CT3980 for OPL, but they both have the hanging note bug...

😵

Reply 1 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yamaha YMF-7x4 PCI cards do support genuine OPL3 and, in some cases, have SPDIF outputs. Rayer was working on a tool to enable it in pure DOS. Keep in mind, these cards don't support ADPCM encoding which is used in a couple of early Apogee games like DN2.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 10, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion - i do remember seeing one such YMF card once, but that one lacked the PC-PCI connection.
And as for cards with an ESS chip, are there any known models with SPDIF out? On the plus side, i think at least the ESS Solo-1 should support ADPCM.

Reply 3 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Neither the ES1938 nor the ES1946 chips support SPDIF output (or I2S for that matter). So, that's not a viable option for digital out.

Reply 4 of 10, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Der Kuenringer wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - i do remember seeing one such YMF card once, but that one lacked the PC-PCI connection.
And as for cards with an ESS chip, are there any known models with SPDIF out? On the plus side, i think at least the ESS Solo-1 should support ADPCM.

I have such a card (the former), yet to even test it like most of the stuff I have collected.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 5 of 10, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding YMF7x4 and ADPCM, only 2/3bit is affected and I've only come across DN2 that uses it (so not that common). But with this game, you can replace the affect with OPL FM in the game options.

There is an ESFM card with SPDIF, but it first uses ADC before feeding it. IIRC, it was one of the Guillemot Maxi Sound ISA cards.

Reply 6 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried Major Stryker? I heard it also had issues. I'd love to put that myth to bed, one way or another.

Reply 7 of 10, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Have you tried Major Stryker? I heard it also had issues. I'd love to put that myth to bed, one way or another.

I've played it, although don't recall testing it with a YMF7x4. I'll put it on my to do list.

Reply 8 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many YMF-744 cards have OPL3 and an attached SP/DIF daughterboard or at least an SP/DIF connector.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 10, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
j^aws wrote:

Regarding YMF7x4 and ADPCM, only 2/3bit is affected and I've only come across DN2 that uses it (so not that common). But with this game, you can replace the affect with OPL FM in the game options.

There is an ESFM card with SPDIF, but it first uses ADC before feeding it. IIRC, it was one of the Guillemot Maxi Sound ISA cards.

Thanks, is it the Guillemot Maxi Sound Home Studio Pro 64 by any chance?
Although it's kind of futile anyway i suppose. It's the DAC that i want to bypass on these cards, and that not happening with this one.

appiah4 wrote:

Many YMF-744 cards have OPL3 and an attached SP/DIF daughterboard or at least an SP/DIF connector.

While we're at the topic of daughterboards. If I add a wavetable board to a card with SPDIF out, will i get digital out from this add-on card as well? And if so, directly, or does it go through an ADC?
Let's say on one of the YMF-7x4 cards.

Reply 10 of 10, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Der Kuenringer wrote:

While we're at the topic of daughterboards. If I add a wavetable board to a card with SPDIF out, will i get digital out from this add-on card as well? And if so, directly, or does it go through an ADC?
Let's say on one of the YMF-7x4 cards.

If it's a Waveblaster type board AFAIK it's analog, based on the pinout/schematics.

YouTube