VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've searched and found very little feedback from enthusiasts regarding the Thunderboard. I found one a year or two ago and haven't yet had an opportunity to really make use of it. I intend to install a CT1350B (SB 2.0) with CMS upgrade in my first 386 system, so compatibility wise I don't think a Thunderboard would add much, but is there a difference in sound quality or filtering that'd be noticeable enough to make it interesting? Are there any games or applications that can do anything special with a Thunderboard that can't be done on a SoundBlaster?

0105191927b (1920x1440).jpg
Filename
0105191927b (1920x1440).jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Thunder_Board_-_Schematic.png
Filename
Thunder_Board_-_Schematic.png
File size
5.83 KiB
Views
File license

If you have any interesting experiences, links or information about the Thunderboard, please post them here. Maybe we can put together a repository for these cards.

Some links:
Photos of my Thunderboard

Wiki

Small VCFed Discussion

Basic overview from 1993

Pic of Original Box and contents

Thunder Board Programmer's Reference

Drivers

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2021-02-03, 07:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Thunderboard is a cut-down clone of the Sound Blaster 1.5 with DSP v2.00. It does not have upgrade sockets for Game Blaster chips and cannot communicate with MIDI devices at all through the joystick port. The only advantage it has over the Sound Blaster 1.5 and its successors is that it has support for audio input hardware compression at 8-bit to 4-bit. There are a few DSP commands each card recognizes that the other does not, but this does not affect compatibility unless some sneaky Creative Labs code tries to break by detecting a Thunderboard.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Thanks for the explanation and the details! ^^

@Ozzuneoj I also really like the ThunderBoard and have got a Protac card here.
It was broken, but the hires graphics at amoretro gave enough hints to fix it:
http://www.amoretro.de/2011/06/protac-thunder … clone-opl2.html

Also, I literally grew up with the Thunderboard, since it was a part of my beloved PAS16. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently acquired a thunderboard. It's clearly a genuine Media Vision product, but it appears to be branded "Audio Blaster Rev 1.0". The layout matched the second pic on the above "wiki" link, with two banks of blue colored DIP switches. This card has additional settings to assign a I/O port and IRQ to the MIDI interface, as well as another setting labeled "JSDEC". Anyone have any idea what JSDEC is?

Reply 4 of 11, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found this Protac clone from the storage that also has CD-ROM interfaces. It has a Crystal 121 chip instead, but then again 201 is from MV.

protac.jpg
Filename
protac.jpg
File size
451.8 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought an Activision Thunderboard for my first X86 system in the early '90s, a clone 286/.16. It was glorious hearing sound out of the system instead of jest beeps 😉.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 11, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently got a Thunderboard myself and have tested it alongside a Sound Blaster 1.5 and an Adlib card.

In comparing noise levels of the respective outputs, the SoundBlaster 1.5 is a noisy card and too noisy to be enjoyable imho. The Adlib has comparatively much cleaner output.

In Adlib mode, the Thunderboard is similar to the real Adlib card in that respect. Relatively little background noise.

With Sound Blaster support enabled, the Thunderboard starts outputting an audible background hiss / noise.

I suppose the advantage of the Thunderboard is it can serve as an Adlib replacement that happens to have a joystick port. And while I don't think I'd want to use it for Sound Blaster duties, at least it does provide that option.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 11, by oLdStuffUser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found my Thunderboard this year. It was my first soundcard and my first upgrade for my first computer. I did not know that there were more than one pcb layouts. Mine looks like the last picture from Shponglefan.
If I remember correctly there where only two games with the option "Thunderboard" in the setup. I think they were "Galactic Empire" and "A.G.E". But it does not matter if you choose thunderboard or soundblaster as there where no differences.
As for compatiblity the thunderboard works 99,9% whith soundblaster option. I had issues whith it on 1 or 2 games but could not remember which these were.

If anybody is interested in the manual or the disks leave a message. I do not know if the disks are readable anymore but I could try. I have the complete set (manual, all 4 disks, box and maybee there are some registration cards) as I bought it new in like 1992. Intresting side note...I have only bought it because it was way cheaper than the original soundblaster.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't this be good for Vogons Wiki or Vogons Drivers?

There's already a diskette set available,
but maybe this one here might be having another version number..

So I think it's worth archiving.
Photos of the box art the manual are fine, too.

I mean, everyone knows Creative. But about its biggest competitior? Not so much.

Let's remember, for a while, Media Vision was something like an arch rival to Creative.
They fought in the same domain for the same customers.

Thunderbord vs SB 1.x, 2.0 (both AdLib compatibles with benefits)
PAS vs SB Pro 1.0 (both Dual OPL2)
PAS Plus vs everyone else (OPL3, Gameblaster, PAS+SB mono PCM DACs)
PAS16 vs SB Pro 2.0 (OPL3, Stereo PCM)
PAS16 vs SB16 or vice versa (later on they were each one's main rival in terms of functionality)

Sure, sure the Gravis Ultrasound was also there. Nice card. Awesome. The kids loved it. Grandma loved it. Amiga people loved it. Everyone loved it. 🙂
But it's on a higher level, I think. Like the SoundScape 2000, Turtle Beach Maui, EWS64XL, AWE32, MediaTrix AudioTrix Pro..

(* The list above is just a quick overview and not set in stone)

Edit: I heard the Thunderboard originally was meant as a companion card for the Pro Audio Spectrum (PAS).
Both cards can be installed in same PC.
The Thunderboard then handles the backwards-compatibility for Sound Blaster titles.

That's a bit like the old Gravis Ultrasound + Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 combo.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by oLdStuffUser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I share the opinion of „ worth archiving“. Year after year it‘s getting harder to find informations and drivers for old hardware.
I have already found the driver on vogons driver but did not check if it is the same like my disks.
Did not know anything about vogons wiki so I have to check that.
All I know is that the drivers on the 3.5“ and 5.25“ disks are the same. The other both disks are only demo version of games.

Any advices on archiving the stuff? I have a big Toshiba MFC on work I would use to scan the papers.
Scan black and white or color? Is 200dpi enough? Would a PDF file be fine or should it be better single pictures (JPG or whatever the MFC gives us). Of course the boxart would be scanned in color.

As for the disks I personally would prefer something like an image tool instead of just „zipping“ the content. I know these 4 disk are not bootable nor have they any kind of copy protection.
But in the future I would archive my stuff just in case of dying floppy’s or disk drives. For example my MS-DOS Disks and they should stay bootlable if I ever have to write them back to a floppy. I know „imagedisk“ which could write a bootlable floppy to an „IMG file“ but maybee someone has a better idea?

Reply 10 of 11, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi

I also have the Protac clone board. I got it in a very big lot last summer and only tested it this week.

I noticed a very interesting thing. While the original Mediavision Board is said to not support midi, the clone have markings that suggest it does.

protac_thunderboard_clone_mvd121_mvd201_isa.jpg
Filename
protac_thunderboard_clone_mvd121_mvd201_isa.jpg
File size
980.98 KiB
Views
File comment
Edited from http://www.amoretro.de/2011/06/protac-thunderboard-clone-opl2.html
File license

(Edited from http://www.amoretro.de/2011/06/protac-thunder … clone-opl2.html)

My card is identical and i can read :

JP7 : MIDI UART enable / disable
JP3 : MIDI base address 300H / 310H / 320H / 330H

(Also MIDI IRQ 2/3/5/7 in the bottom jumper row, not outlined in red)

I'm really tempted to dig and try to plug my SC-55 on this card...

Edit :
The original board does not includes this chip : Crystal/MV CS4121-CQ but i found no info about it
More visible in sf78's picture above in this thread : Re: MediaVision Thunderboard

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 11 of 11, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well.. The Protac Thunderboard clone supports MIDI UART mode.

Demo with SC-55

https://youtu.be/7KZV0UkcdEI?si=r68mW4slMo1pmmTw

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)