Sound Blaster Installation Detects Windows 95

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Sound Blaster Installation Detects Windows 95

Postby Lo-ResBros » 2019-1-11 @ 23:31

I’m trying to install Sound Blaster 16 drivers in DOS after installing Windows 98se but the installation says it detects Windows 95 and aborts the install. I’m doing this while re-booted in pure dos btw.

I read a while ago something about this and you have to rename a file or directory? I can’t remember or find the post anymore.

*Sorted it out. Watched a Philscomputerlab video for msdos mode installation*
Last edited by Lo-ResBros on 2019-1-12 @ 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Lo-ResBros

Re: Sound Blaster Installation Detects Windows 95

Postby GigAHerZ » 2019-1-11 @ 23:38

I don't know exactly, what instructions did you read, but you could rename "Windows" folder before installing DOS drivers in the DOS.

DOS drivers are really easy to install manually: Just copy some files over and change config.sys/autoexec.bat a bit and you're done. ;)
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!
GigAHerZ

Postby Jo22 » 2019-1-11 @ 23:40

That is -or was- normal, I believe. The Creative drivers detect DOS 7 and refuse to install because they think it's a Windows 95 system.
Back in time, there used to be several threads about this according to my memories.
However, I'm no Win 9xGuru, so I don't know what the workaround for this used to be.
With tools like DOSVER you can fake another version number, maybe this helps.
Not sure, though. DOS 7 also had additional DOS APIs (or ABIs) that could be used for detection of DOS 7+.
"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//
Jo22
l33t

Postby Lo-ResBros » 2019-1-12 @ 00:08

GigAHerZ wrote:I don't know exactly, what instructions did you read, but you could rename "Windows" folder before installing DOS drivers in the DOS.

DOS drivers are really easy to install manually: Just copy some files over and change config.sys/autoexec.bat a bit and you're done. ;)

You're right I managed to manually install the SB16 with a driver I downloaded off here that already has the files installed and just edited the autoexec and config, however I plan on using a AWE64 soon and might be a little harder, would be nice to use the normal installer if possible.
Lo-ResBros

Return to Sound