VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,

I would like to sell my some of my sound cards but not sure what to keep. Here's what I've got:
- Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
- Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3990
- Sound blaster Pro 2 CT2600
- Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3670
- Sound Blaster 16 CT1750
- Sound Blaster Audigy ZS 2
- bunch of different Live! cards
- Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520 (in my Super Socket 7 setup)
- Sound Blaster 16 CT2290 (in my 486 setup)
- iirc some Sound Blaster 16 Value in my 286 setup

--== ADDED ==--
- 2x Sound Blaster Audigy SB0090
- Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital SB0220
- Sound Blaster Vibra 16 CT2860
- Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100
- Sound Blaster Live! CT4830
- 2x Sound Blaster 128 PCI CT4810
- Sound Blaster Vibra 16 CT4170
- Yamaha XG YMF724F-V (that's on the chip)
- Ensoniq AudioPCI

My first sound card ever was a Sound Blaster Pro 2 but I'm not sure which one of the two it is! I still have the box for it, manuals and all the disks so I'd like to keep it.

According to this website, it could be the CT1600 as the box looks the same: http://www.pixelatedarcade.com/tech_attribute … nd-blaster-pro/

Cheers

Last edited by Half-Saint on 2019-01-16, 22:44. Edited 1 time in total.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMHO, here's what I would sell:
-One of the Pro 2's as they are basically identical apart from CDROM controller
-The AWE32's as they are basically outclassed by the AWE64 - get a SIMMCon if you need more RAM for soundfonts
-The Live! cards, the Audigy is better - you have better cards if you need DOS support
-The SB16 CT1750 - poor sound quality

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 21, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why are CT1750 v4.05 cards in such high demand, if sound quality is supposedly poor? Would a regular person even be able to notice the difference in sound quality?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think its because they have a real OPL3, not CQM, and they supposedly don't have the 'hanging note' bug when using a WaveBlaster daughterboard or external MIDI module (but this is only true for DSP version 4.05 AFAIK, there are CT1750's with later versions). You have other cards that serve these purposes better.

I had a CT1740 which I believe differs from the CT1750 only by the CDROM interfaces, and yes the sound quality was noticeably poor. I noticed a big difference going to a later SB16 Vibra.

Reply 4 of 21, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I think its because they have a real OPL3, not CQM, and they supposedly don't have the 'hanging note' bug when using a WaveBlaster daughterboard or external MIDI module (but this is only true for DSP version 4.05 AFAIK, there are CT1750's with later versions). You have other cards that serve these purposes better.

I had a CT1740 which I believe differs from the CT1750 only by the CDROM interfaces, and yes the sound quality was noticeably poor. I noticed a big difference going to a later SB16 Vibra.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So that's four cards that I can safely cash in then 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep the rest I say, but then I'm a terrible hoarder when it comes to sound cards..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 21, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Keep the rest I say, but then I'm a terrible hoarder when it comes to sound cards..

Problem is I'll most probably never use them. I'm not very obsessed when it comes to sound cards these days and I'm a bit short on cash right now.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Problem is I'm most probably never use them. I'm not very obsessed when it comes to sound cards these days and I'm a bit short on cash right now.

Well, then these are worth keeping regardless:

- Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3990: ASP Chip, OPL3, SIMM Upgradable, Great AWE32, keep it.
- Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3670: Low SNR AWE64 chip, but DSP bug-free, SIMM upgradable - good card, not OPL3 but still keep it, replace your AWE64 with this.
- Sound Blaster 16 CT1750: If it has a bug free DSP then keep this and sell SB16 Value; otherise sell this and keep the SB16 Value.
- Sound Blaster 16 CT2290 (in my 486 setup): One of the best SB16s, keep it
- Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600: Keep
- Sound Blaster Audigy ZS 2: Best EMU card in your lot

following are the better sales options:

- Sound blaster Pro 2 CT2600: Same as CT1600, later model, has Mitsumi interface (totally useless) - sell.
- Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520 (in my Super Socket 7 setup): See CT3670
- iirc some Sound Blaster 16 Value in my 286 setup: See CT1750

Reply 8 of 21, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Well, then these are worth keeping regardless: […]
Show full quote

Well, then these are worth keeping regardless:

- Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3990: ASP Chip, OPL3, SIMM Upgradable, Great AWE32, keep it.
- Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3670: Low SNR AWE64 chip, but DSP bug-free, SIMM upgradable - good card, not OPL3 but still keep it, replace your AWE64 with this.
- Sound Blaster 16 CT1750: If it has a bug free DSP then keep this and sell SB16 Value; otherise sell this and keep the SB16 Value.
- Sound Blaster 16 CT2290 (in my 486 setup): One of the best SB16s, keep it
- Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600: Keep

following are the better sales options:

- Sound blaster Pro 2 CT2600: Same as CT1600, later model, has Mitsumi interface (totally useless) - sell.
- Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520 (in my Super Socket 7 setup): See CT3670
- iirc some Sound Blaster 16 Value in my 286 setup: See CT1750

I understand where you're coming from but will I actually be able to hear the difference between a SB16 Value and a SB16 CT1750 in my 286? Correct me, if I'm wrong but I don't think so. The difference in what I can get for each card is quite substantial tho 😀 And yes, CT170 is bug free.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 9 of 21, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I'd decide what I'm going to use in the next 6 months, and ditch the rest. Hoarding is a disease 😀 If your gonna build a 286 box, keep the SB Pro, if your going to build a PCI/Win box, keep the Audigy.. I would not keep stuff just for keeping stuff, that way madness lies!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

I understand where you're coming from but will I actually be able to hear the difference between a SB16 Value and a SB16 CT1750 in my 286? Correct me, if I'm wrong but I don't think so. The difference in what I can get for each card is quite substantial tho 😀 And yes, CT170 is bug free.

You will hear some difference, not much, but the major difference is that your Value is most likely PnP and the non-PnP CT1750 will be a million times more hassle free on a 286 😀

Reply 12 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of your new cards, I'd sell all of them except possibly the YMF-724 as that supports wavetable synthesis. It's a subset of the Yamaha XG synth used in the DB50XG or MU50 but its still pretty good.

Reply 13 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Of your new cards, I'd sell all of them except possibly the YMF-724 as that supports wavetable synthesis. It's a subset of the Yamaha XG synth used in the DB50XG or MU50 but its still pretty good.

Note - wavetable on the Yamaha card is only supported within Windows or if a game specifically supports an XG based card. But.. it has real OPL3 built in which is great for a system that doesn't have ISA slots or if you have other stuff you want to fill the ISA slots with.

I would also keep the CT2860. It has real OPL3 on it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Seconded. As noted above CT2860 is also a decent card to keep but you will already have 2 AWE32s and 2 OPL3 SB16s anyway, if you need the cash just sell it.

If you do end up selling some of this stuff, feel free to let me know what channel you will do it through.. I wouldn't mind the chance to grab a few.

Reply 15 of 21, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will be selling my cards through the AmiBay forums.

appiah4 wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by this? I also happen to have an X-Fi Fatal1ty but I already promised to give it away to my cousin as thanks for helping me with some stuff.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 16 of 21, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

I will be selling my cards through the AmiBay forums.

appiah4 wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by this? I also happen to have an X-Fi Fatal1ty but I already promised to give it away to my cousin as thanks for helping me with some stuff.

X-Fi does not have SB Emulation AFAIK; Audigy ZS 2 is the EMU chipset with the lowest SNR, best surround and digital capabilities, lowest CPU utilization Win9x drivers that retain SB Pro legacy compatibility (even if its FM is still terrible). I use one in my Athlon64 PC, it's a great card for very fast Win9x systems in my opinion.

Reply 17 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of the PCI cards

Audigy 2 ZS is the final card with Win9x support. As such it'll have the cleanest output, drivers are less bloated then then the SB Live! version, and can be got to work in native dos if really needed. probably the best/most flexible PCI card you can get.

The Ensoniq AudioPCI is interesting card, Supported in DOS, able to load its own version of soundfonts, but only keep if you want something different from a sound blaster, otherwise even the original Live! is a better card.

Yamaha XG for the reasons already given above

Also the X-Fi is the final card for WinXP, So is a nice card for WinXP builds

Reply 18 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just as a heads up.. the Audigy drivers can be used on Live! cards. Not sure about Audigy 2 drivers.

The Audigy drivers seemed to make the output of my Live! be a lot cleaner when I did it back in the day.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 21, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know where my reply went so here it is again.

I decided on keeping the following:
- 286 - SB Pro 2 CT1600
- 486 - SB 16 CT2290
- SS7 - SB AWE32 CT3670
- WinXP - Audigy 2 ZS + X-Fi front panel

Will also be keeping a CT2860 as well as that Yamaha XG card.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png