VOGONS

First post, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using the latest version of aweutil in DOS622 with a 2760 but all I get is crashes. 8mb ram tests fine with diagnose, finegm loads ok, every game I tries either freezes or reboots. Are there any games known to work with aweutils midi emulation ... I would be happy if I could even get one to work. Will they work with emm386?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 1 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Define "every game". Also, I don't understand your setup. How are you loading finegm under pure DOS? AWE32 only has proper support for soundfonts under Windows.

Also, AWE32's implementation of GM is done partly via software which causes it to have issues with protected mode games (anything that uses DOS4GW or other DOS extenders). So, for games like that you either need to have a patch (and you'll typically need to use AWE32 option in sound settings, not GM or Sound Canvas) or just run it under Windows.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the AWE32 in terms of its MIDI implementation under DOS and the approach that Creative followed with this.
You can read the attached FAQ that Creative wrote when they first shipped the AWE32 back in 1994 for more information.

Filename
AWE32FAQ.txt
File size
30.46 KiB
Downloads
134 downloads
File comment
AWE32 FAQ
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Practically all General MIDI based games will "look" for an MPU-401 MIDI interface to send their MIDI data to.
On all AWE based cards, the EMU8000 synthesis chip is what is used for MIDI synthesis and this chip is not directly hardwired to the MPU-401 MIDI interface on the card.
The EMU8000 synthesis chip has its own port address (normally 620h) whereas your MPU-401 MIDI interface normally uses port 330h.

To get around this problem, Creative designed a tsr (Aweutil) to essentially "intercept" all MIDI data that is being sent to port 330h and then reroute it to the EMU8000 synthesis chip.
Unfortunately, this implementation does have certain drawbacks:

• It only works with real mode DOS games. Therefore, protected mode DOS games, that makes use of a DOS extender (like DOS4G/W), must support the AWE32 natively (i.e., there must be an option in the game's setup menu under the Music option for "AWE32"). There is a way around this, which I've addressed further below.
  • If your motherboaerd doesn't support Non Maskable Interrupts (NMI's), then Aweutil will also not function properly. You can also try the option I've listed below.

You mentioned that the soundfont "finegm.sbk" loads OK. How did you load this?
Under DOS, the only way to make this load correctly is to place the finegm.sbk file in your SFBANK folder, rename it to synthgm.sbk and then load Aweutil with the /EM:GM parameter.

Take note that, in order to initialize the EMU8000 synthesis chip, you have to load Aweutil with the /S parameter. This is if you wish to run protected mode games (that supports the AWE32 natively) or you wish to just use FM synthesis.
If you have a real mode DOS game, that supports General MIDI, then you have to load Aweutil with the /EM:GM parameter.

To come back to what I've mentioned earlier in terms of how to address the problem with protected mode games under DOS.
Whether the game supports the AWE32 natively or not, most DOS protected mode games actually runs fine under Windows 95/98 in an MS-DOS window (Command prompt).
In such a case, you just boot into Windows, open up a Command prompt in full screen mode, choose General MIDI in your game's setup menu and run your game.
The benefit of this is that, under Windows, you have much more flexibility in terms of the number of soundfonts you can load (since, under DOS, you are limited to only version 1 soundfont files). This is only limited by the amount of onboard RAM on your sound card.
When you load a custom (General MIDI compatible) soundfount under Windows, if you play that game from a Command Prompt, it will then use that soundfont to generate your MIDI sounds. Under DOS, all protected mode games, that supports the AWE32 natively, will only use the standard 1 MB General MIDI ROM sample set (with a few exceptions where some games loaded their own custom soundfonts).
Some real mode DOS games also runs fine under a Command Prompt.

Reply 4 of 9, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for not being clearer, I wrote this fairly late before bed.

My system:
Asus P5A
K6-3+ 400
CT2760 v1
S3 Virge/DX AGP

I installed an AWE32 driver set from Vogons. That game me ctcu, ctcm, diagnose, aweutil. I updated aweutil to the latest version using another driver package.

I can use the normal tools (ctcm, diagnose) to setup the card for SB/FM and it works fine, as does native AWE in games. But I wanted midi to work as well.

I downloaded finegm SBK from vogons also, and renamed it synthgm.sbk. I then ran aweutil /R:40 /C:40 /EM:GM in the directory with the SBK, and it says it worked fine, loaded the SBK and everything.

However, in any game I try and start, even real-mode games, it just crashes, or in some games no sound at all. I just want to know if anyone has got a realmode/vx86 mode game to work and which one...as I said if I can hear it work just once I would be happy!

Reply 5 of 9, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had no luck for a while, and I don't remember if I have gotten around to getting both of my AWE setups to work or just one of them. On my 486, I have an SB16 non-PNP plus an AWE32 upgrade card. On my Pentium, I have an AWE32 that requires PNP stuff.

From memory (I will have to look into this more if you need additional info), I had to run the PNP stuff and the SB drivers in config.sys. In autoexec.bat, I think I had to run one other PNP initialization command, then aweutil /s, and mixerset. From that point, AWE32-native games would work. If you need GM emulation, you would need the additional aweutil support to re-route MPU-401 to the EMU8K.

I think I ended up ditching the Creative PNP manager for an Intel copy that seemed to have a little more going on. (It would detect my ISA network card as well.)
That helped get over one problem I had where the Creative version didn't recognize (I think it was) my AWE32 upgrade card.

One thing I've found is that my version of ROTT locks the computer hard just about any time I fool with the music settings, so I left it on SoundBlaster. I have not bothered to figure out why yet. All the other games I've tried so far seem to be OK.

Reply 6 of 9, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a couple of games that work: Police Quest 1 and Betrayal at Krondor. The second sounded really good, I think PQ1 is more of a mt32 game.

Nonetheless I think if I ever wanted awed midi I will use an awe64 and win98 in another system, and keep the awe32 for real opl, native awe and reverb effects on both.

Reply 7 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
doaks80 wrote:

Nonetheless I think if I ever wanted awed midi I will use an awe64 and win98 in another system, and keep the awe32 for real opl, native awe and reverb effects on both.

That is probably the best way to go about it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
doaks80 wrote:
Sorry for not being clearer, I wrote this fairly late before bed. […]
Show full quote

Sorry for not being clearer, I wrote this fairly late before bed.

My system:
Asus P5A
K6-3+ 400
CT2760 v1
S3 Virge/DX AGP

I installed an AWE32 driver set from Vogons. That game me ctcu, ctcm, diagnose, aweutil. I updated aweutil to the latest version using another driver package.

I can use the normal tools (ctcm, diagnose) to setup the card for SB/FM and it works fine, as does native AWE in games. But I wanted midi to work as well.

This just caught my eye - model CT2760 is not a PnP card.
You don't need either CTCM or CTCU. Just make sure that any references to either of these is removed (or remarked) in your Autoexec.bat and/or Config.sys startup files.
The card is configured in software (via Diagnose) and some jumper settings on the card itself.
Also, in your Advanced CMOS settings, be sure to reserve the DMA and/or IRQ that you've allocated to your sound card as "Legacy/ISA" (or whatever the description states).
I would recommend sticking to DMA channels 1 & 5, and IRQ 5.