VOGONS

First post, by squidmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I just got an MT-200 and a Roland UM-ONE cable and I'm having issues with missing instruments. I am also on windows 10.

On passport.mid it is missing the keyboard part that comes in at 22 seconds in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9BtuPpW9w.

I have factory reset it and did the diagnostics on the sound channels and all 28 check out fine.

Reply 1 of 5, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. I honestly don't recall ever hearing that keyboard counter melody before. I also have the MT-200 and recorded Passport.mid on it and it doesn't have it either. My guess is there must be a different version of the .mid file out there that doesn't have that included? Although I had an SCB-55 attached to my SB-16 back in the mid 90s and I never heard that keyboard section then either. What firmware version is on your mt-200?

In watching other vids on Youtube it is most definitely supposed to be there? The ONLY thing I can figure is that it isn't an issue with voices. It could be that secondary keyboard is using an instrument that the MT-200 might not actually have? I will have to bring this up later tonight at home if I remember in Midiplayer to see if there are any channels that are kicking off and not actually playing.

Here is my MT-200 playing it directly off the internal diskdrive at around 2:03 mark in the video...

https://youtu.be/ZwPEdGAcuRM?t=123

** UPDATE **

Just got home and fire up a new copy of Passport.mid I got from one of the many YT vids. Ran it through Midiplayer and the missing additional countermelody is present. I then copied it to my Gotek flashdrive and it is still there! So I have to suspect that you and I just happen to have a version of Passport.mid that is missing this counter melody. Check the version in the link below on your MT-200 and see what you get because I'm getting all of the instruments now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrkabhiq4a5xfck/passport.mid?dl=0

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 2 of 5, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess this guy was a single poster and done kinda guy. Oh well...had hoped he would come back and chime in if the alternate version of Passport.mid I found did the trick.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 3 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrossBow777 wrote:

I guess this guy was a single poster and done kinda guy. Oh well...had hoped he would come back and chime in if the alternate version of Passport.mid I found did the trick.

I have been meaning to try it on mine... I'll dump a link to this page on my desktop so I hopefully remember to check it when I get a chance. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 5, by squidmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry CrossBow777, I've been pretty busy as of late. This also happens to me when playing Doom 2 in game too.

here's a recording of mine playing back. I'm not sure why It was stuttering but the virtual midi driver was stuttering too. https://plastic.s-ul.eu/ss0QdeQY.m4a

EDIT: hmmmmmm, what player should I use to play these files. It definitely sound different in winamp and the synth is actually there.

Reply 5 of 5, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What firmware is loaded up in your MT-200? There were stuttering and hanging notes issues reported by another MT-200 user. I didn't have these issues and it was found out that my MT-200s both featured newer firmware revisions. I got the latest of these dumped and made the rom public for others to have made and install into their MT-200s. Access the diagnostics testing on the module to find what firmware you have. Also chances are, that if your MT-200 actually comes up with the words MT-200 when you power it on, it likely has older firmware. The newer firmware just says Sound Module when it fires up, or at least that is what both of mine do.

I do not use Winamp at all honestly because it has been a buggy mess for me most of the time I've ever tried to use it. I use Falcosoft's Midiplayer as my default as you can do much more than just listen to midi files. You can change the instrumentation and actually save it..etc. Pretty nifty for the cost of Free. Also have you tied the other Passport.mid file I linked to? The original one I had was missing that counter melody until I got this other one. So it would seem there is two versions of this floating around.

g883j7-2.png