VOGONS

Reply 480 of 495, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2022-01-08, 05:38:

SB has quite strong LPF at its output so it'll definitely round out those squarewaves.

Considering that many games of that time used 11kHz samples, so every signal above 5.5kHz is unwanted aliasing (i.e. noise), the quite strong LPF on the classic sound blasters actually is a quite good idea. OTOH, for that purpose, it would have been enough to filter the DAC output, and mix in the music output (which should be free of audible aliasing) after the filter. Taking the harshness from the square wave CMS output might be a good reason to have that one filtered, too, though.

Reply 481 of 495, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, so I'm looking at building one of these things but I'd like to know about some parts substitutions:
1.Substitution of most of the 74LS logic to 74F because they're actually available at Mouser and Digikey.
-The U7, U8 (74LS138) and U17 (74LS139) appear to be available, so they'll stay as they are on the BOM
-Additionally, I may swap out U29 (74LS14) for a 74ACT14 depending on availability when I order my board
2. I plan to use the PLCC-44 equivalent of the recommended microcontroller with a soldered in DIP-40 to PLCC-44 adaptor because of availability and the possibility of using an original Creative DAC if I ever come across one.
3.Also, I plan to use TDK FG and FA (for the .1 UF caps) series MLCCs throughout for all of the ceramics except for the 2 30 pfs attached to the crystal: I'll use either Kemet Goldmax MLCCs or Kyocera AVX SR Series caps. Any suggestion where I should try putting Film caps in to maximize the sound quality. I should have audio grade Nichicons on hand for the electrolytics.

Thanks!

Reply 482 of 495, by Klench

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone, I hope this thread isn't too cold. I built a snark barker ISA and having problems (no sound from SB, Adlib etc....just a hum).
1. Does the snark barker require a volume knob/wheel installed on the potentiometer for me to hear anything from either the SB or Adlib on the board?
2. Will the potentiometer work without installing wires? I saw some blue wires soldered to the unit on one of the first postings in this thread and don't know what that's all about.
Thanks in advance for your advice. Can't wait to solve the problem.

Reply 483 of 495, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for the knob: no, it's just a mechanical part to make it easier to turn the pot.

Not too sure about the wire, but it is on the schematic, so probably a good idea. Mine is buried deep in a case I can't reach right now, and my pics aren't clear on that part, so can't check what I did exactly.

Reply 485 of 495, by Klench

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for checking about patch wires around the pot. I'm going to start fresh again(sigh) and socket every IC. I'm hoping it was a bad IC off ebay (TEA, DAC, etc. )
last question on the pot for now...so without the wheel how do I turn the pot to increase the volume? Thanks again.

Reply 486 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Klench wrote on 2023-02-06, 01:14:

thanks for checking about patch wires around the pot. I'm going to start fresh again(sigh) and socket every IC. I'm hoping it was a bad IC off ebay (TEA, DAC, etc. )
last question on the pot for now...so without the wheel how do I turn the pot to increase the volume? Thanks again.

Please check backwards on this thread, I have inquired about this and gotten some feedback.

Start reading here: Re: Tube Time: Announcing The Snark Barker, a 100% Compatible SB 1.0 Replica!

You will need to solder a few resistors to set volume at a fixed level without the potentiometer. Reading back on the discussion leads me to believe no potentiometer would result in no sound.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2023-02-06, 09:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 487 of 495, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's also correct: no potentiometer is going to be no sound. If the pot is placed (and not broken, wrong type, or turned all the way down), there should be some sound, even without any patch wire (in fact, I also didn't see one in the schematic -there's a dotted line between the two pots shown there, but that just suggests to me that the two pots shown there are driven together as one - that line also doesn't run to any pin of the pot, unless I'm totally cross-eyed now 😁).

As I understood Klench, he does have the pot installed, but is missing the knob and was wondering about the patch-wire that can be seen it the picture in the first post.

As for the latest question: Without the knob, the alps pot I got for this is indeed a bit difficult to adjust as it's threaded for a screw. Even just using some washers under the screw might simply block it. It might work just tightening the screw and trying to carefully turn it afterwards by the screw (which is what I did, before I printed the knob) - after all, when it's set once and with using external speakers, there's usually not much need to touch it again.

The better way would probably be to find someone with a 3D printer and having them print the part for you - it's a small thing with no big associated costs.

Maybe, if you'd want to hint where you're from, someone could also help you out with it. As long as it's not international shipping, I wouldn't mind sending you one.

Otherwise, you could let e.g. JLCPCB print one for you - the part itself is going to be 1 USD and with shipping, etc. it might come up to about 5 or 6 USD (unless you have more things to order).

Reply 488 of 495, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I just wanted to thank everyone involved in the Snark Barker project. I built one a while ago and just tested it today, worked awesome straight up. It was somehow a much bigger soldering job than I expected so it had me worried after so much time invested but I'm happy in the end 😁. Not sure I'm up for building any more but I'll enjoy this one.

Reply 489 of 495, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have to build mine, haven't found the time yet but I do have all the components, except for a bracket. What did you do for the bracket? looking for a proper metal one, not a 3D printed one.

Post a photo of yours. 😀

Reply 490 of 495, by elfoam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2023-04-18, 10:58:

I still have to build mine, haven't found the time yet but I do have all the components, except for a bracket. What did you do for the bracket? looking for a proper metal one, not a 3D printed one.

Post a photo of yours. 😀

Hey, I haven't installed the bracket yet but I'm using a metal one. All my tools to cut it are back at my parents house so I'll bring it with me on my next visit. I have a couple other brackets to do on the picoGUS also. I'll post you a picture when I have the bracket on. It's a very long build, actually equally as long as an entire 8 bit computer. It took me three long sessions over 3 days to complete one card. But it's excellent and well worth the effort.

Reply 491 of 495, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is more or less a dead thread but I just wanted to thank Tube Time and the rest of the steely eyed missile men (he'll get that reference if he ever reads this, 🤣) for this project. I finally got a chance to test the two I built and they both work really well. I have both DSPs so I plan to do a bit of testing. Also, I built one with Wima film caps instead of MLCCs just to see if it made a difference. All that'll have to wait a bit though, because school starts back up today. I'll add a couple of pics to the post later this afternoon, though!!!

Reply 492 of 495, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a firmware question.

It seems like the latest one for SB1 was DSP 2.00 adding some specific DMA modes, while SB2 had DPS 2.01+ allowing additional sample rates (up to 44.1 kHz mono if memory serves, even more on BlasterBoard clone).

On the other hand, SB2.0 has almost the same schematics and the same "DSP" chip (just an ordinary 8051).

So was it possible to use DSP 2.01 on SB 1.0? Or is it possible to use DSP 2.01 on SnarkBarker at least? Like, Creative wanted to sale new cards, not to improve existing ones via releases of the new firmware.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 493 of 495, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought about making it green but eventually went black, Audigy like.

Not really happy with plastic backplate but it's better than nothing. Will see how it looks assembled.

Attachments

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 494 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That makes me want to build a black one now 😁 I actually have the parts, no PCB though. Let me know if you have any extra PCBs you are willing to let go 😉

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 495 of 495, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lol, sorry, I'm buying components on AliExpress, they have magical attachment to number 5 😀 So I got all components to build 5 boards and already found friends for remaining ones.