VOGONS

Reply 122 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's a good way to move by height from smaller to taller and leave bulky and big components for the end.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 124 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mz9YY9Pl.jpg

HOLY CAP! That's a lot of capacitors. All of a sudden I'm getting there!

Time spent soldering so far: 5.5 hours of fun.

I screwed up a bit, mixed up the 2 types of diodes. Cost me about 30 minutes to desolder and resolder

1982 to 2001

Reply 125 of 495, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what a great project, i will pm you about the brackets
(I am investigating bracket suppliers)

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 126 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome. I will nevertheless try to manufacture one bracket next week. Volume wheel slot will be the hardest.

Last edited by root42 on 2019-03-24, 12:01. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 127 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dreamblaster wrote:

what a great project, i will pm you about the brackets
(I am investigating bracket suppliers)

Wow if we can get a production run of these it would be awesome!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 130 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eight hours of assembling, in three evenings. My technique was a lot quicker in the end, it was also a learning experience for me. I also spent a few hours reading the docs, ordering parts and learning how KiCad works.

-- edited a dumb autocorrect. it took EIGHT hours, not RIGHT hours.

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2019-03-25, 08:24. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 131 of 495, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice work Cyrix200+! I worked on my own board this weekend, but I am battling to get a few parts - the NJM3403A and the audio jacks are proving to be the most difficult. I managed to get an NE558 from another sound card, the sound chips from eBay and all the rest locally - but finding the exact audio jacks locally seems impossible - and the only NJM3403A chips available locally are surface mount. It does take hours though - spent at least 2 hours yesterday building my board and I guess there is at least another few hours of work ahead before I have a working board - not to mention weeks of waiting for overseas deliveries.

It's very rewarding though to just sit and work though a project like this however.

Reply 132 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AnacreonZA wrote:

Very nice work Cyrix200+! I worked on my own board this weekend, but I am battling to get a few parts - the NJM3403A and the audio jacks are proving to be the most difficult. I managed to get an NE558 from another sound card, the sound chips from eBay and all the rest locally - but finding the exact audio jacks locally seems impossible - and the only NJM3403A chips available locally are surface mount. It does take hours though - spent at least 2 hours yesterday building my board and I guess there is at least another few hours of work ahead before I have a working board - not to mention weeks of waiting for overseas deliveries.

It's very rewarding though to just sit and work though a project like this however.

It is very rewarding indeed.

I ordered everything at Mouser (except the NE558, TEA2025B, YM3812, YM3014B and SAA1099), using the BOM, you could probably do that of Mouser delivers in your area.

Shipping costs though 🙁

1982 to 2001

Reply 133 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least shipping to Germany is free on Mouser orders over 50 EUR. One can usually achieve this by bundling projects in one shipping. Digikey might be another option to order from, but they also have shipping fees.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 134 of 495, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks - I think I'll try mouser. Apparently there is a South African mouser site, but I think I'll use my Aramex Global Shopper address instead just to be safe.

Reply 135 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any reason to use ceramic fiml caps resistors instead of metal film ones on the Snark Barker and Adlib cards?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 136 of 495, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Generally speaking, for decoupling caps (the ones near logic ICs and digital I/O), ceramic are the most common type used. Film is preferable where they will be in the audio path (op-amp circuits, DC-blocking on the analog in / out, etc.) You can of course use either. Film are normally a bit larger and more expensive, so not often used for simple decoupling purposes. Ceramic don't sound as nice. (But whether you will be able to tell is debatable. There are plenty of ceramic caps in audio circuits out in the real world.)

Reply 137 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

A TL866CS should be able to flash it, right?

Programmed it today, worked like a charm. Can't test the card yet, missing two IC's 🙁

1982 to 2001

Reply 138 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The quad timer is only necessary for the game port, I think. But the yamaha ICs are obviously necessary…

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 139 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

The quad timer is only necessary for the game port, I think. But the yamaha ICs are obviously necessary…

Yeah I think my CT1350B has a socketed YM3812. Might just take that one and try without the quad timer. Or I could be patient haha

1982 to 2001