VOGONS

Reply 40 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am located in Aachen, near NL and BE. The Deutsche Post changed their rules 2019-01-01. Now they disallow goods in international letters. Only written documents are now allowed anymore. They want to shift more shipping to their DHL business. Letters are regulated by the Netzagentur, so postage is not arbitrary. But packages and parcels are not regulated like that.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 41 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

I am located in Aachen, near NL and BE. The Deutsche Post changed their rules 2019-01-01. Now they disallow goods in international letters. Only written documents are now allowed anymore. They want to shift more shipping to their DHL business. Letters are regulated by the Netzagentur, so postage is not arbitrary. But packages and parcels are not regulated like that.

Well.. how much thicker is a pcb than a thick letter anyway? Worth a try? 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 42 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
root42 wrote:

Well.. how much thicker is a pcb than a thick letter anyway? Worth a try? 😀

I can surely try, if you are willing to take the risk. Worst case is that I get it back and we have to ship it again as a package. Anyway, this new rule stinks. It's simply a hidden price hike.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 43 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow so much bs with the post... I wonder what they will think next
as a sidenote I still have not received the CMS card stuff, DHL's latest info is:

Sat, 12.01.2019 07:04 Feucht, Germany
The international shipment is being processed in the export parcel center.

so it's not like they handle things better 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
wow so much bs with the post... I wonder what they will think next as a sidenote I still have not received the CMS card stuff, D […]
Show full quote

wow so much bs with the post... I wonder what they will think next
as a sidenote I still have not received the CMS card stuff, DHL's latest info is:

Sat, 12.01.2019 07:04 Feucht, Germany
The international shipment is being processed in the export parcel center.

so it's not like they handle things better 🤣 🤣 🤣

Ah, that is unfortunate. Mine arrived within a few days.

1982 to 2001

Reply 45 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

got a reply on the 2.00 DSP , it seems to me we should wait for better stuff to come:

Various sources sell a CT1351V202 that actually seems to work. The HEX file is not from the original SB, it’s taken from a no-name Chinese clone of the SB 2.0. There are more efforts ongoing; details at a later date.

also this confirms the dsp code is from a clone , I guess this is related to the waiting 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 46 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What does that mean in layman's terms? If we wait for a dump of the DSP then the same card can be built as SB 2.0 compatible?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 47 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it means the dsp code is from a clone - it will work but no idea if the clone is 100% or 99% correct
I think they are working to either dump the original or provide something better than the clone code, we'll just have to wait

Reply 48 of 495, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

They blame it on the International Postal Union, but I call BS on that. Haven't seen any other countries change their rules, and if you are a business with minimum 500 shipsments/year you can still ship whatever as "letter"

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 49 of 495, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

Bastards...

Anyway, Aachen is both relatively close by and a nice place to visit with the children, and I have free 1st class public transport within NL (i.e. to within 5km of Aachen), so if I can find the time, I'll come pick up mine and Cyrix200+' cards.

Reply 51 of 495, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It never ceases to amaze me what wonderful retro projects people come up with in this forum. Splendid work, Stiletto "Tube Time"/schlae! 😀

However, I'm a bit weary about that firmware image in your repo. It's copyrighted and although it is more or less abandonware, I don't think it can just be distributed without approval of the owner(s).

Perhaps one of the many different former Sound Blaster clone manufacturers could be convinced to publish the source code of their Sound Blaster clone firmware (or at least officially release the firmware image as freeware) now that those cards aren't being sold anymore, provided of course that they wrote their own clean-room implementation without having pirated another firmware themselves.

It would be even more awesome to have a newly-developed-from-scratch open source firmware for the 80C51 that would provide (near) 100% compatibility with Sound Blaster 1.5 and/or 2.0 cards. Perhaps even a firmware that would be superior to the original Sound Blaster firmwares, avoiding the flaws of the original products while still providing 100% compatibility in games. That would be a nice separate GitHub project, the fruits of which could then be combined with the Snark Barker. And additionally, it could then perhaps also be used in other retro sound card projects and/or in emulators and such. 😀

Last edited by digger on 2019-01-31, 13:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 52 of 495, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me what wonderful retro projects people come up with in this forum. Splendid work, Stiletto! 😀

I've said it once already: I announced this on behalf of "Tube Time"/schlae, who if he has an account here is merely lurking. This is not my work.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 53 of 495, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
digger wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me what wonderful retro projects people come up with in this forum. Splendid work, Stiletto! 😀

I've said it once already: I announced this on behalf of "Tube Time"/schlae, who if he has an account here is merely lurking. This is not my work.

Corrected. Thanks and sorry I missed your earlier correction while briefly glancing through the replies to your post. 😉

Reply 54 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems the PCBs are awaiting pickup by carrier. So it will be a few days, but they should arrive rather sooner than later.

snark-barker-jlc-pickup.png
Filename
snark-barker-jlc-pickup.png
File size
60.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 55 of 495, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i also would take a pcb if there is one left.. 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 56 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think not, sorry. 😒 Although I have two. One as a backup. If my card works, you can have the backup, ok?

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 57 of 495, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No Problem, maybe we just trade then, if you still want a CMS Board then 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 58 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good news everyone! The PCBs have arrived:

C4569834-9D3E-4975-AE4B-EE0244689047.jpeg
Filename
File size
712.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have sent everyone an Email with details on how to proceed. I will try to forward the boards as quickly as possible. To the dutch people: we can try to arrange a handover, if you want to visit Aken, but if it does not work out, I can just ship it via DHL...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 59 of 495, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

Good news everyone! The PCBs have arrived:

I have sent everyone an Email with details on how to proceed. I will try to forward the boards as quickly as possible. To the dutch people: we can try to arrange a handover, if you want to visit Aken, but if it does not work out, I can just ship it via DHL...

Argh, timing... I was literally 10 minutes' drive from Aachen yesterday afternoon 😜

But I'll discuss with Cyrix200+ and we'll arrange something.