VOGONS

Reply 160 of 495, by amoerman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up ordering a run of 10 boards myself, I got the components to build a few for myself, after that I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the remaining boards.

Reply 162 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amoerman wrote:

I ended up ordering a run of 10 boards myself, I got the components to build a few for myself, after that I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the remaining boards.

If you have any extra lots of ICs for this project that you want to sell off I would buy one lot from you (except the MCU which I already have..)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 163 of 495, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is such a great little project, since I've got the soldering equipment & EEPROM flasher ready. I used to have a CT1350B, so the opportunity to make a replacement is certainly interesting. Going over the costs, with buying the parts from mouser, it's probably not cheaper than buying an old one, but certainly more fun & sustainable.

I bought one of the board & IC kit on ebay from someone putting together partial kits in Russia, which arrived a while ago. All of the parts have come in now from Mouser but the volume wheel is backordered so that doesn't get here til next month. I guess I'll solder in a cheap basic one for now.

One slightly populated PCB - I didn't have the right size socket for the OPL2, but this will work:

snarkbarker1.jpg
Filename
snarkbarker1.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A big pile of parts from Mouser:

snarkbarker2.jpg
Filename
snarkbarker2.jpg
File size
767.89 KiB
Views
File license

The Interactive BOM is going to be a great help for putting this together, it just loads in the browser and highlights all the component locations: https://github.com/schlae/snark-barker/files/ … barker_ibom.zip

Reply 164 of 495, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

really cool project. just noticed it now;
nice work!
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php/ … 11.html#msg8811

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 165 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me I need to get on buying components for mine as well now that the AdLib is successfully done.

Reply 166 of 495, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was certainly an experience to put together - my card is now somehat up and running. For anyone else putting one of these together, here's what I found worked best for me:

CT1320-reproduction (2).jpg
Filename
CT1320-reproduction (2).jpg
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license
  • Install & solder sockets for the OPL2, Y3014B, and components that will need to be removed for programming (Atmel 89C51)
  • Place resistors, film capacitors & ICs one type at a time from the front, using the interactive BOM for guidance
  • Solder in one leg of each component from the front of the PCB
  • Make sure that each component is secured and turn the board over
  • Trim the legs of the components
  • Solder everything properly from the back of the board

I can't get hold of the volume wheel for another few weeks yet, if I can at all - those have ended up backordered until August, some of the capacitors are now back-ordered until December too 😒
For now I've installed just some wire between the two points and use the speaker's volume control instead, which is very noisy, but it works as a proof of function. The pictures show a potentiometer, but it doesn't do anything, the jumper wires perform the same function.

The card bracket is 3d printed and once I've tried it out in a proper case, I'll add the files for that for anyone else that wants to print one out.

The CMS audio is working and sounds quite nice. PCM audio is working too (I'd forgotten just how mono the original sound blaster is), but FM sound just gives a distorted quiet mess - I wonder if it's the Y3014B DAC (which is maybe fake & maybe damaged), or if I mixed up a capacitor value?

I should get the replacement Y3014B DAC tomorrow to test 😀

CT1320-reproduction (1).jpg
Filename
CT1320-reproduction (1).jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 167 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My money is on the dac, if it's bad opl will sound exactly like that

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 168 of 495, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great 😀 I was initially thinking it could be the op-amp/mixer but the CMS and normal audio works okay so it's less likely to be that.

I assume these older chips like the YM3812 and YM3014 are quite sensitive to static / mishandling?

Reply 169 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't this card technically an SB 1.5 clone; I believe we had established that the image used for the flash chip is the DSP from 1.5? or am I off completely? Just started building mine, so a bit curious..

Reply 170 of 495, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Isn't this card technically an SB 1.5 clone; I believe we had established that the image used for the flash chip is the DSP from 1.5? or am I off completely? Just started building mine, so a bit curious..

Is there a difference in DSP between 1.0 and 1.5?
I thought the main difference was that the 1.5 no longer came with the CMS chips installed from the factory.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 171 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Is there a difference in DSP between 1.0 and 1.5?
I thought the main difference was that the 1.5 no longer came with the CMS chips installed from the factory.

DSP versions can differ, depending on age of the card:

http://www.amoretro.de/guides-workshops/creat … r-modellnummern

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 172 of 495, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

Right, so you can have 1.03, 1.05 or 2.00.
2.00 is the auto-init update. I hope that's the one the Snark Barker uses.

Reply 173 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@root42
did you ever test the real 2.01 dsp with the snark barker?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 174 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
root42 wrote:

Right, so you can have 1.03, 1.05 or 2.00.
2.00 is the auto-init update. I hope that's the one the Snark Barker uses.

The SnarkBarker uses a DSP firmware from some SB clone. Haven't checked the version yet. Keropi also was kind enough to provide me with an original SB DSP on a PLCC to DIP adapter. However it doesn't fit in my socket on the Snark Barker. I'll have to desolder the socket, then I can test that.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 175 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

@root42
did you ever test the real 2.01 dsp with the snark barker?

See above! It's on my todo list. Since I now have TWO SnarkBarkers I can try to desolder the socket of one of them...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 176 of 495, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it works on the SnarkBarker, I wonder what the difference is on the real SB 1.x vs 2.0.
The 2.01 DSP introduces higher sampling rates. But is the SB 1.x physically incapable of that, or is it just because the DSP chip used a different form-factor, and they did not want some nasty retro-fit solution on the existing SB 1.x socket?
The auto-init and better MIDI functionality were in the 2.00 DSP, so that part worked on the old PCB at least.

Reply 177 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

root42

is it a dual-whipe socket? you whould be able to force that in ...
- there are some options to consider: replace the pins on the adapter with slimmer or round ones
- insert on the adapter some female->male pins and insert those to the socket (so any damage is made on the intermediate pins and not the socket)

you an also try to remove the socket pin-by-pin , destroying it in the process but it's safer for the pcb

Reply 178 of 495, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A firmware on Snark Barker's github is actually a 2.01 DSP firmware.
Its E1 command code look like this:

; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; E1 - Get a version of DSP, major byte first, minor byte next

CMD_E1_Get_DSP_Version:
CLR DSP_BUSY
JNB DMA_EN, L0A4C ; Jump away if /DMA_EN is low (DMA enabled)

MOV A, #002H ; Write major version byte
L09F5:
JB DAV_PC, L09F5
MOVX @R0, A

MOV A, #001H ; Write minor version byte
L09FB:
JB DAV_PC, L09FB
MOVX @R0, A

LJMP DSP_Idle
; NOT REACHED

And it has 0x90 and 0x91 (high speed playback) functions code.
So it should run as SB2.0

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 179 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting.

@root42 did you ever do an SBCHECK on the clone DSP firmware for the Snark Barker? Do you know what it reports?