VOGONS

First post, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Windows 3.0 MME installed in PCem with a variety of period correct hardware to go with it, including the venerable Sound Blaster Pro (ver 1 w/ dual OPL2 chips). I noticed that, although most MIDIs played fine out of the box, I had issues getting MIDI files designed for the original Sound Blaster to play at all (i.e. BALLADE.MID). Whenever I'd open the file, I'd hear nothing but silence. Could this have something to do with how the OPL2 chips on a SBPro are configured? Could it also have something to do with how PCem emulates hardware? Seems like a flawless reproduction of the real McCoy otherwise.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 1 of 2, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welp... I just answered my own question. Turns out I needed to change the MIDI Mapper from BASIC FM to EXT FM and it solved the problem for me.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 2 of 2, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For normal Midi file playback you should use the GM compatible Full/All profile (Channels 1-16) instead of Extended (Channels 1-10) or Basic (Channels 13-16).
More info about this issue:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper