VOGONS

First post, by Kacheekfreak09

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a Unisys CWD-4002 with a Sound Blaster CT1350B and it was working fine, but when I installed the C/MS upgrade chips, some programs seem to not detect the FM chip properly, or not even detect a sound card at all for some reason. I have made sure my games are configured correctly, and I know FM is fine because when I checked DIAGNOSE.EXE, I could hear the FM music! Really confused right now. 😕

Reply 1 of 14, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of the C/MS upgrade kits support only the older CT1336 bus interface chip. If your card happens to have the newer CT1336A on board, both the original and cloned upgrade kits won't work properly and will interfere with the FM synthesis.

Reply 3 of 14, by Kacheekfreak09

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My card appears to have an revision number of 060328, and have the CT1336A bus logic chips, which does mostly explain why most programs don't seem to detect the card with C/MS enabled, but that still doesn't explain why other programs (like DIAGNOSE.EXE, FastTracker 2, Inertia Player, and SBVGM) can use the FM and DAC chips just fine, and SBVGM can even use both the FM and C/MS at the same time!

P.S. here's the image of my card in question:
qUb1GWn.jpg

Reply 4 of 14, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that's exactly the problem. The GAL is not compatible with CT1336A.
I reverse-engineered the differences between CT1336 and CT1336A and wrote a new set of GAL equations compatible with both of them. Selling this kit on eBay right now. 😀

Reply 8 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
suntac wrote:

Yes, that's exactly the problem. The GAL is not compatible with CT1336A.
I reverse-engineered the differences between CT1336 and CT1336A and wrote a new set of GAL equations compatible with both of them. Selling this kit on eBay right now. 😀

I wonder if it'd be possible to cobble together a CMS add-on for a Soundblaster Pro 1 or 2, since they use the CT1366 or CT1366A. It'd have to be in the form of a daughterboard I guess... anyway, just thinking out loud. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 14, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I wonder if it'd be possible to cobble together a CMS add-on for a Soundblaster Pro 1 or 2, since they use the CT1366 or CT1366A. It'd have to be in the form of a daughterboard I guess... anyway, just thinking out loud. 🤣

Theoretically yes, but cutting PCB traces and/or desoldering ICs would be involved.
You would also have to place a switch somewhere which would then be used to choose between C/MS and stereo-FM synthesis as their I/O spaces overlap.

Reply 10 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I wonder if it'd be possible to cobble together a CMS add-on for a Soundblaster Pro 1 or 2

How about just using a Game Blaster clone next to the SB Pro?
See here: MUS-1099 GameBlaster Sound Card
My 286 runs like that. Note that both card's can't be on the same base address (unlike a regular SB 1.x or 2.0, the dual OPL2 or OPL3 is in the same address range as the SAA1099 chis), so I run the Game Blaster on 210h and the SB Pro on 220h.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 11 of 14, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scali wrote:

How about just using a Game Blaster clone next to the SB Pro?
See here: MUS-1099 GameBlaster Sound Card
My 286 runs like that. Note that both card's can't be on the same base address (unlike a regular SB 1.x or 2.0, the dual OPL2 or OPL3 is in the same address range as the SAA1099 chis), so I run the Game Blaster on 210h and the SB Pro on 220h.

I thought most games require C/MS to be located at 220h regardless of the GameBlaster's auto-detection feature, but maybe I am mistaken.
Anyway, I somehow started to like the ISA PnP. I can design a PnP GameBlaster, a PnP SB Pro, etc. and be able to assign them various configurations on-the-fly from the DOS command prompt.

Reply 12 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
suntac wrote:

I thought most games require C/MS to be located at 220h regardless of the GameBlaster's auto-detection feature, but maybe I am mistaken.

Yea, but carlostex has a project with patches for these games. I've helped patch a few games myself (and uncover undocumented commandline arguments to specify base address in some cases).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 13 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested today suntac's GAL chips for CMS, my CT1336A sb2.0 works fine with both opl2 and cms .Excellent work suntac!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website