VOGONS

First post, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The card works correctly in DOS when using the contents of the '95dosapp.exe' from the Creative website.
For windows I tried the drivers from the iso which is contained in 'awe32pnp.bin.rar'.

However the device doesn't seem to be installed correctly. Starting any utility like aweutil in windows yields an error related to the 8000 chip.

The card acquired IRQ5, LO-DMA 1 and HI-DMA 5 on startup. It tried to take IRQ 10, LDMA 0 and HDMA 7 which I prevented by setting this resources to "legacy ISA" so that it had to settle for the "normie" values.

There are no SIMMs installed.

Attachments

• Img_2746.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2746.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Img_2747.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2747.jpg
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by amadeus777999 on 2019-02-01, 17:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For my SB32, I had success with the "Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold Installation CD (1997-Feb-06)" filename AWE64G.7z, from vogonsdrivers.com. You can also try changing the base config in the resources tab of the sound card driver.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 4, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks,
but unfortunately the problem persists. I tried another board and faced the same dilemma - even when leaving all resources to "auto".
To test if the card was broken, I fired up a WinXP install and there all "features" seem to work correctly(the PCI entry is from the onboard card).

Attachments

• Img_2749.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2749.jpg
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What exactly is the cause of that yellow bang in device manager? You can click on it to see what exactly Windows is unhappy about (and also see the allocated resources, if any).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 4, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

What exactly is the cause of that yellow bang in device manager? You can click on it to see what exactly Windows is unhappy about (and also see the allocated resources, if any).

It's the sbawe.vxd that was supposed be causing the problems. The resources where listed and no conflict given.
I tried another version of the .vxd file and it still didn't work correctly. No matter if W95 or W98.

Now, on the third board + fresh install of W98 it's working.
The "problem board" was an i430TX based one where the fresh install still resulted in the same behavior(yellow question mark and calling any utility gave the "EMU8000 error"). The BIOS settings regarding IRQ & DMA have been kept the same. In Dos it was running ok though.

The current board, where the card's fully functioning, is a 440BX based one btw.

Attachments

• Img_2752.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2752.jpg
    File size
    664.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Img_2753.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2753.jpg