Came across a stash of Dectalk 8-bit ISA cards.

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Came across a stash of Dectalk 8-bit ISA cards.

Postby keenmaster486 » 2019-2-09 @ 01:30

I didn't know what they were when I found them. They came with a lot of other stuff that I got from a recycle center nearby (more on that later! Got some good stuff.)

There are about 20 cards in the lot. I haven't counted them yet... I saw them and initially thought they were some kind of PC-on-a-card due to the presence of the 80C186 chip. But no! When I get home I find out they are... speech synthesizer cards?!

I don't know anything about these! Where did they come from? Why are they in such pristine condition? Why were they just sitting on top of a giant pile of motherboards at the recycle center? I will never know the answers, but I sure bought the lot of them, including a bunch of other stuff, for a measly twenty-five bucks.

So, can anyone tell me about these cards - what was their reputation back in the day, what is their value today, and boy oh boy how do I get one of them up and running in a DOS machine!

Here are some pictures of one of the cards (yes, they all look this good - crisp and as if they just came off the factory line :exclamation: ):
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Very silly indeed: https://audaxeundum.wordpress.com
keenmaster486
Oldbie

Re: Came across a stash of Dectalk 8-bit ISA cards.

Postby Error 0x7CF » 2019-2-09 @ 06:33

Druaga1 has a handful of videos about his working unit. I believe it takes specific software to drive it if I recall correctly. If it's impossible to locate elsewhere, he's the sort of person to respond to a comment and get back to you with a disk image.

As for value, I see one on eBay for nearly $200, far too much in my estimation. DECTalk hasn't really changed all that greatly so it's only valuable in a useful sense to a likely very small number of people who find themselves with a failed ISA-based DECTalk system that absolutely cannot be replaced.

Of course, the number of people who would be interested because it's neat is probably pretty high. You can count me among them.
It's important to remember that things have to be old before they're antique.
Error 0x7CF

Re: Came across a stash of Dectalk 8-bit ISA cards.

Postby keenmaster486 » 2019-2-09 @ 16:59

Hmm. My instinct as to their value lies somewhere in the $25-$75 range, but again, I have no idea... I don't know how scarce they are, or just how many people would actually want to buy one.

Of course, I would keep one or two for my personal use :cool:
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Very silly indeed: https://audaxeundum.wordpress.com
keenmaster486
Oldbie

Return to Sound