VOGONS

First post, by mjnman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought 2 sound blaster live model SB0100. I tried with the same hardware and with Windows 98SE and one of this dosen't work a channel. I cannot hear I think on left.
Maybe broken card? please, can I repair or find the damage?
The capacitors seems to be ok....at least at first sight 😅

Reply 3 of 11, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) kX Project drivers don't support EAX. Any version. Always.
2) Creative's DOS driver uses front output only (green jack). If you want to redirect sound to rear output (black jack) the only way is to use multichannel DOS mixer.

And now decide yourself what you need.

Reply 4 of 11, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The SB0100 also supports digital audio output on a separate jack. Maybe you could use that instead of your damaged (analog) line out jack. I don't know if digital audio output works in DOS (but PARUS' post makes me doubt it), plus you'd need a digital audio receiver. Maybe it's just time to find a fully working card for DOS.

Attachments

• 20190402_203020.png
    Filename
    20190402_203020.png
    File size
    579.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just thought of something else. Are there any jumpers plugged into the Live! Drive connector pins on the right side of the card? Or are any of those pins bent so that they're touching each other? (Pinout)

Reply 8 of 11, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good news! I finally figured out what's causing your problem—

Attachments

• 20190403_215529.png
    Filename
    20190403_215529.png
    File size
    212.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Aliens
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 11, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mjnman, if you have AV receiver or any other digital receiver/dac just connect it to SPDIF output of your Live and enjoy! In Windows S/PDIF out is working always. In pure DOS not always, it depends to card's revision and driver's version. But in DOS it is not problem too if you use my DOS mixer for EMU10k cards which I've been shown already. It can enable digital out on any Live/Audigy card with (or without) any DOS driver version.

If you have not digital receiver, if you don't want change to another Live card I can give you another advice. Take one good high quality PCI card (for musicians and audiophiles) (like EMU 0404 or so) and connect Live's digital output to E-MU's digital input. Just use it as high-quality DAC in Windows and you'll can use Creative's VxD EAX driver. In DOS take my DOS software mixer and redirect WAVE sound to REAR OUTPUT. If you don't know I'll say you about it: the rear output on Live cards has much more quality than front output. Yes and yes! It's true! Surely the Creative are idiots because they made it. But it's true.

Let me a stupid question: did you check the wire you use?

Reply 10 of 11, by mjnman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried with headset and others loudspeakers but the problem is the same (both loudspeakers work in the other computer). I found another SB Live! with 5€...I think is more easy to replace the card with another one.
Thanks guys

Reply 11 of 11, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Somebody wrote this on Wikipedia:
"...the tendency of the AC'97 chip to fail when used as an input source to medium-impedance musical instruments removed the use of the front channels altogether..."
Maybe that's what happened to your card with the failed channel.