VOGONS

Replacing SB AWE32 RAM Sockets

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by MR-80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.
I know its an old topic but i recently got myself an AWE32 and i need to replace the sockets.
If anyone has spares and could send me one that would be awesome. Shipping would be either to Switzerland or Austria.

Thanks.
Martin.

Reply 21 of 23, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Digging up old thread at tail end on 2022 to share my experience.

I could not source earlier this year in EU angeled twin SIMM replacement sockets with metal tabs. So I opted for 2 separate vertical ones. Even that ended up costing way more than I'm fully happy with with shipping from US + taxes counted in. At least I got branded ones what appears to be new old stock (see attached pic original packing with label).

In retrospective I'd say replacement procedure is not for faint hearted ones unless you are not doing resoldering on daily basis. Also it is a lot easier with new Desoldering Gun I acquired as well. With Solder Wick approach only I would have probably burned or melted something. Even with gun I had use wick because there are always few stubborn pins who just refuse to act normally 😀

It looks like vertical mount angle and low profile SIMM end result does not exceed 1 slot spacing. It's hard to find low profile 2x16MB SIMM sets. Most of my usable MIDI banks will fit into 2x4MB SIMM set you see on attached pic. So I am OK with that.

Attachments

• Endresult.jpg
    Filename
    Endresult.jpg
    File size
    472.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • nakedPCB.jpg
    Filename
    nakedPCB.jpg
    File size
    456.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by vutt on 2022-12-30, 14:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 23, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vutt wrote on 2022-12-30, 14:36:
Digging up old thread at tail end on 2022 to share my experience. […]
Show full quote

Digging up old thread at tail end on 2022 to share my experience.

I could not source earlier this year in EU angeled twin SIMM replacement sockets with metal tabs. So I opted for 2 separate vertical ones. Even that ended up costing way more than I'm fully happy with with shipping from US + taxes counted in. At least I got branded ones what appears to be new old stock (see attached pic original packing with label).

In retrospective I'd say replacement procedure is not for faint hearted ones unless you are not doing resoldering on daily basis. Also it is a lot easier with new Desoldering Gun I acquired as well. With Solder Wick approach only I would have probably burned or melted something. Even with gun I had use wick because there are always few stubborn pins who just refuse to act normally 😀

It looks like vertical mount angle and low profile SIMM end result does not exceed 1 slot spacing. It's hard to find low profile 2x16MB SIMM sets. Most of my usable MIDI banks will fit into 2x4MB SIMM set you see on attached pic. So I am OK with that.

Thanks for this post, my awe32 CT3930 had broken clips and I was using a dot of hot glue to keep the simms in. I was able to order the exact same make and model metal simm sockets from eBay you had pictured and successfully replaced them

Attachments