Reply 120 of 136, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-15, 09:50:

Just do it. Please.

Already started. 😀

chrisdswift wrote on 2024-05-03, 14:00:

Ive been a happy owner of S1,S2 and X2. Just ordered X16 and awaiting delivery - are the X2 original soundbanks compatible with X16?

Unfortunately they are not. But most Soundbanks are already available for both X2 and X16. 😀

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 122 of 136, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hummtaro wrote on 2024-05-04, 07:17:

Just do it. Please.

Already started. 😀

Thank you! As much as I like the Buran soundbank this would replace it in my second X3.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 123 of 136, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrisdswift wrote on 2024-05-04, 21:02:

That is a shame as I would love the original Salamander piano soundbank in X16 form. Can anyone give their opinion on which X16 GM/GS soundbank has the best sounding piano patch?

I don't have the source of the official Dreamblaster X2 piano soundbank..
..but i did a quick convert of the "Yamaha C5 Grand" from here that is based on the Salamander Grand by Alexander Holm.

It fits in one 256 MiB slot, please give it a try: Download

Tell me if there are other soundfonts you would like. 😀

Edit:
I just gave two other piano soundfonts from that site a shot:
Yamaha S6 (363 MiB): Download
Fortepiano (166 MiB): Download

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 125 of 136, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Masterpiece.sf2 is my preferred soundbank

+1, it rocks. I'd be a very happy man if I could load that into my X2

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 126 of 136, by chrisdswift

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hummtaro,
I received my X16 yesterday and loaded up the piano soundbanks - very, very nice. I think the Yamaha S6 is my favourite - realistic and deep. Tried it with Gershwins Rapsody in Blue midifile - wonderful. I'm not using this thing for games but as a 4 part multitimbral sound source connected either to my Conductive Labs NDLR or my Midicakes ARP. Midi connectivity , voice selection and parameter control is being handled by a Teensy 4.1 with 5 encoders and small colour TFT screen. Sorry if this is a bit off subject but I thought I would let you know why I wanted piano sounds. Now if I could select GS sounds for the same session from the Buran bank as well as piano patches from the S6 or C5 that would be wonderful.

Anyhow - many thanks

Last edited by chrisdswift on 2024-05-09, 14:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 127 of 136, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrisdswift wrote on 2024-05-08, 19:47:

Now if I could select GS sounds for the same session from the Buran bank as well as piano patches from the S6 or C5 that would be wonderful.

X16 firmware currently does not support loading multiple soundbanks.
But maybe soundbanks could be combined into one!
What patches would you like to use?
If it does not have to be Buran, i could try to convert something like the Nice-Keys-Suite from soundfonts4u that contains various high quality instruments and combine it with whatever pianos you like into a single soundbank.
We have a whole gigabyte to be filled with sound. 😀

That is nice! Finally another one who didn't get the Dreamblaster for DOS games! 😁

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 128 of 136, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hummtaro wrote on 2024-05-09, 12:07:
... X16 firmware currently does not support loading multiple soundbanks. ... […]
Show full quote
chrisdswift wrote on 2024-05-08, 19:47:

Now if I could select GS sounds for the same session from the Buran bank as well as piano patches from the S6 or C5 that would be wonderful.

X16 firmware currently does not support loading multiple soundbanks.

Are you sure? According to documentation this is not the case:
https://serdaco.com/downloads/X16/X16_Documen … er%20Manual.pdf
http://serdaco.com/downloads/X16/X16_Document … IDI%20Specs.pdf

x16.png
Filename
x16.png
File size
34.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And it seems there are NRPN messages to switch sound banks:

Filename
x16_2.png
File size
10.05 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Public domain

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 129 of 136, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-09, 12:19:

Are you sure?

Yeah, indeed the X16 can have multiple soundbanks loaded into the NAND memory and you can switch between them.
But it can not have two soundbanks loaded (in the sense of activated) at the same time.
Chrisdswift wants to use patches from two soundbanks simultaneously.
Like it would be possible in your MidiPlayer using Bank LSB. That's not supported by X16 right now, even if the hardware should be capable of it.

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 130 of 136, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hummtaro wrote on 2024-05-09, 12:28:
Yeah, indeed the X16 can have multiple soundbanks loaded into the NAND memory and you can switch between them. But it can not ha […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-09, 12:19:

Are you sure?

Yeah, indeed the X16 can have multiple soundbanks loaded into the NAND memory and you can switch between them.
But it can not have two soundbanks loaded (in the sense of activated) at the same time.
Chrisdswift wants to use patches from two soundbanks simultaneously.
Like it would be possible in your MidiPlayer using Bank LSB. That's not supported by X16 right now, even if the hardware should be capable of it.

Ahh, thanks. I understand now.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 131 of 136, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So happy to see my presets in those screenshots 😀 Hopefully someone is enjoying them..

Reply 132 of 136, by chrisdswift

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Assuming multiple soundbanks cannot be addressed simultaeously within X16, the second best solution that I could envisage is an end-user soundbank manager that would allow the cut and paste of voices from various source soundbanks into a new custom soundbank - but I guess that is what the Dream SDK can do but a bit expensive for individual use.

I haven't auditioned the sounds yet but the Nice Keys Suite looks as if it would have the piano I like plus a whole bunch of high quality sounds including pads, strings and synths. I do have an mt32-pi that can load large sf2 files from sd card - not ideal because of the slow loading times but I will have a listen.

Reply 134 of 136, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrisdswift wrote on 2024-05-09, 14:27:

Assuming multiple soundbanks cannot be addressed simultaeously within X16, the second best solution that I could envisage is an end-user soundbank manager that would allow the cut and paste of voices from various source soundbanks into a new custom soundbank - but I guess that is what the Dream SDK can do but a bit expensive for individual use.

Yes, for any soundbank editing you would need the Dream SDK. But even with the Dream SDK, you are not able to modify the compiled binary files you upload to your Dreamblaster. You need the source files to do any editing..

Rawit wrote on 2024-05-10, 06:55:

@Hummtaro: are you using the new Awave -> Dream SDK conversion method? Do you have to manually tweak a lot of things?

Yes, i use Awave Studio and it depends.
Simple instruments like piano are almost 1-click now, but instruments that use stuff like filter envelopes, filter modulation by LFO need rework.
And some parameters like scale tuning are not translated at all. Some are even impossible to be replicated on Dream hardware..

Converting Masterpiece ended up as far more work than i expected but at least it is possible now.

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 135 of 136, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hummtaro wrote on 2024-05-10, 10:00:

Converting Masterpiece ended up as far more work than i expected but at least it is possible now.

Waiting intensifies..

Reply 136 of 136, by t3hbeowulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hummtaro wrote on 2024-05-05, 10:40:
I don't have the source of the official Dreamblaster X2 piano soundbank.. ..but i did a quick convert of the "Yamaha C5 Grand" f […]
Show full quote

I don't have the source of the official Dreamblaster X2 piano soundbank..
..but i did a quick convert of the "Yamaha C5 Grand" from here that is based on the Salamander Grand by Alexander Holm.

It fits in one 256 MiB slot, please give it a try: Download

Tell me if there are other soundfonts you would like. 😀

Edit:
I just gave two other piano soundfonts from that site a shot:
Yamaha S6 (363 MiB): Download
Fortepiano (166 MiB): Download

Holy moly, thank you!
I'll have to try and give these a shot this week.