VOGONS

First post, by jvill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Issue: Getting audio working in DOS for Windows 98 SE.
Apologies if this is something common here on this forum.
Also apologies if I've put this in the wrong thread. Admins, please move it if needed.

Computer:
Pentium III
Windows 98 SE
126 mb RAM

Sound card:
CT4810
Creative Labs
S/N: M481002088365

Sound device:
Name: SB PCI
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1274DEV_5880SUBSYS_20031
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM

Sound driver:
Name: sbpci.sys
Version: 5.12.01.5017

I do not know my A, IRQ and DMA settings. I also don't know how to find that information out.
I have created a simple diagnostic boot floppy disk, but have no idea how to use it.
I do know how to change the bios to boot from floppy, CD, etc.
I know how to edit the autoexec.bat, I know it has something to do with SET BLASTER=, but I don't know where in the .bat to type it and specifically what to write.

Really hoping to get audio working for my DOS games. Been trying to get this machine working for months. Went through multiple hard drives. Praying for a retro PC mastermind angel to help me.
Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. What brand/model motherboard are you using?

2. How are you trying to run DOS games? From within Windows 98 or booting directly to DOS or rebooting into DOS mode?

3. What drivers are you using? These should be the correct ones:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =49&menustate=0

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for Windows games on modern systems as in the pinned message at the top of this forum:

This forum is for running old windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows

Ask old hardware and old OS questions here: Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 6, by jvill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

1. What brand/model motherboard are you using?

Where can I find that information? The computer boots too quickly for me to see the opening bios screen.

cyclone3d wrote:

2. How are you trying to run DOS games? From within Windows 98 or booting directly to DOS or rebooting into DOS mode?

Any method is fine for me. I do have some older DOS games, like Mechwarrior 2, which can only be run from boot disks and DOS. It's for this reason that I'd like it to work with all methods.

cyclone3d wrote:

3. What drivers are you using? These should be the correct ones:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =49&menustate=0

Thankyou, I installed this. Using the game 'Heretic' as an example, the game sound began to work in DOS. Unfortunately the music was still the lower quality version and not MIDI. Still, good progress.
The default sound blaster settings in the 'setup' of Heretic is set as A220, IRQ 5, and DMA1. Seeming as the sound is working, I'm assuming this means they are correct values?
The music in that setup only asks for A, which I set as sound blaster 220. I'll mess around with it now and see what I can get working.
Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh dear, the computer doesn't want to 'restart in DOS mode' anymore. It hangs on a black screen with a flashing white underscore.
And most of the games don't have sound when playing in Windows (even if they did before).

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you still hang when restarting in dos mode?
if you reset the computer will it then continue to go into dos or does it go back into windows?
when you are in dos if you type edit autoexe.bat you should see the line set blaster= This is what the sound card is set to use.
If they are work they are correct, but setup doesn't check if it conflicts with other hardware so defaults my not be ideal in your setup.

also Warcraft 2, even the shareware version is pretty good for testing sound as you can do it in the setup program, unlike heretic where you have to start the game to test