VOGONS

First post, by eeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I'm having issues with my recently purchased SB PRO 2 2600.

Jumper settings are as follows:
Address: 220
Low DMA: 1
High DMA: 1
IRQ: 5
CD DMA: 7
CD IRQ: 10

Some more info about the system:
Pentium 200 MMX, 32 MB RAM, s3 VIRGE 2MB PCI card, Diamond Voodoo1 PCI, USB PCI card (with 2 ports).

IRQ5 and DMA1 are reserved for ISA/Legacy in Bios and Device Manager shows that all resources are assigned correctly.
I've tried it in Windows 95 DOS mode (from Philscomputerlab - after adding the string SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 to Autoexec.bat and Dosstart.bat) and it works fine.
Also, OPL3 works fine when I run RADplayer from Windows.

The problem:
I had a SB16 Vibra working just fine before. To avoid as many conflicts as possible, I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 95.
Setup froze at 24% when detecting ISA devices. After rebooting, I chose the "recovery" option that Setup offered and this time it skipped that section and continued successfully.

Now, I can't get Media Player to play back MIDI files. There's just very silent/garbled sounds. WAVE playback works fine, though.
In Windows Volume Control, Synthesizer controls (volume and balance) are grey/locked.

Any suggestions about what to try out?
I'd rather not install Windows 98, because Windows 95 is so much more responsive on this system.

Br

Reply 1 of 1, by eeJay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:
I've managed to solve the issue!

Reinstalled Windows 95. This time, I deselected as many components as possible before the Hardware Detection part of Setup. PC still froze. Again, chose the "recovery" option.
But this time, no sound card was installed.
Instead of adding it by Add New Hardware > Search for devices (Yes), I chose No and just picked it from the list (Creative > Sound Blaster Pro).
Funnily enough, after adding the card, Windows offered to shut down the computer instead of restarting it.
The only thing I'm missing now is the Game Port, but I currently have no use for it, so that's not a problem.

Now, even after installing all the other drivers (USB, graphics, Voodoo etc.), both Wave and OPL3 output work just fine.

Maybe this can help somebody.

Thank you and br