VOGONS

First post, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've posted about this before, but I decided I may as well post again since I'm completely stumped and have *actually* tried everything at this point.

My 486 battlestation has a Sound Blaster Vibra 16S. Under DOS, WAVE audio (such as in games, and in FT2) works fine. Under Windows however, I cannot open WAVE files. Digital sound does not work at all.

I have fiddled around with the IRQ and DMA settings and have tried every possible combination at this point. I have messed with the MPU-401 port, though I have not messed with the base I/O address. I have no idea how that would affect JUST the digital audio (OPL3 works fine under Windows) JUST in Windows. But who knows.

To top it all off, I thought it was possibly a problem with my previous installation of 3.1, since it was extremely messy. I purchased WFW 3.11 and installed it. Then installed the audio drivers.

Nope.

Could it be an issue with my drivers? I'm using the Vibra16 drivers from the VOGONS library. Should I maybe try drivers from Creative's website? This is very strange especially considering that it's just in Windows, OPL3 still works, and that it continues even after a fresh reinstall.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 1 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cant hurt to try the ones from the website, it'll be the same as vogons drivers.
When you run the dos setup program it should ask if you have windows installed and do the rest from dos as well, you shouldn't have to do any setup from within windows.

Reply 3 of 6, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where can I find sbcheck? Is it included in my Vibra16 directory with the drivers?

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 5 of 6, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sometimes the "autoconfiguration" within windows is faulty.
dos-settings in plain dos can effect the card if you have a dual-boot with dos and windows.

look at the system-settings in windows. look for "!".
my advice is configuring the card manually within windows to the values the card has in plain dos.

de-check the "automatical" configuration and then you will also see what vibra-resources are blocked by other devices within windows.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 6 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:
sometimes the "autoconfiguration" within windows is faulty. dos-settings in plain dos can effect the card if you have a dual-boo […]
Show full quote

sometimes the "autoconfiguration" within windows is faulty.
dos-settings in plain dos can effect the card if you have a dual-boot with dos and windows.

look at the system-settings in windows. look for "!".
my advice is configuring the card manually within windows to the values the card has in plain dos.

de-check the "automatical" configuration and then you will also see what vibra-resources are blocked by other devices within windows.

Also the SET BLASTER line and the hardware resources set by windows may not be right (one is IRQ5 the other IRQ7 etc.)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.