VOGONS

First post, by moijk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I love sound cards from the 80s and 90s, so when it came to collecting PC that became the theme. I still haven't got adlib or 8 bit soundblasters, but gus max, turtle beach, a bunch of roland and yamaha sound modules and such. But to me the end of when sound cards mattered to consumers was with the Sound Blaster Live!. So when I found one cheap locally I bought it (sb live platinum). it came with yet another PC with a few goodies (the pc wasn't working, though).

But to the point. was it any games where the sb live actually made a difference? Or did I just get a soundcard just because I wanted it? 😜

Reply 1 of 3, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moijk wrote:

But to the point. was it any games where the sb live actually made a difference? Or did I just get a soundcard just because I wanted it? 😜

Of course. All the early games that utilized EAX 1.0 or EAX 2.0 sound better with your Live!:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_EAX_support
I think you should definitely try e.g. Unreal Tournament with the EAX pack from Creative:
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Essential_files

Also in case of early Win9x games that still used Midi for music (e.g. original Age of Empires) you can get much better quality music by using the hardware SF2 synth of SB Live! with some nice GM/GS Soundfont.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ideally you would also use the Win9x VXD drivers like Liveware 3. I've found the WDM drivers sometimes don't sound right with the 1998-2000 Win9x era EAX games. Glitches in EAX environment changes for example.

Some other cards like those that use Sensaura or QSound do EAX pretty well too. It is very subjective as to what sounds "better" because they really just sound different. Unless of course there are obvious glitches of some sort with the sound.

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want your Live! to sound even better, install the Audigy drivers on it. Of course you have to do the driver install manually after extracting the files from the Audigy driver installer, but it does work. They fixed a lot of issues in the Audigy drivers as well as increased the output quality a fair amount.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK