VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know much about the inner workings of PC MIDI playback, so let me explain the question a bit more.

Lets say I have a game with GM compatible MIDI music, and lets say I'm using a sound card with built in GM-compatible hardware wavetable synthesis (one that requires no drivers or sound fonts to be loaded). In normal circumstances should there be any (ANY!) difference in playback between these four scenarios when playing a specific MIDI track from that game:

1. Playing that MIDI track natively in the game, in pure DOS.

2. Playing that MIDI track natively in the game in Windows 9x, in a DOS box.

3. Playing that MIDI file in windows mediaplayer in Windows 9x.

4. Playing that MIDI track in a DOS MIDI music player in pure DOS.

Basically, I'm wondering if any of these things actually change the MIDI output in any way. I know that DOS games generally have some form of "drivers" built into them for different sound devices. If there is more than one driver\option that successfully plays GM compatible music through the MPU-401 port, should all of these sound exactly the same on a GM compatible wavetable-synth equipped sound card? Should Windows drivers or MIDI playback software have any effect on the output? Any likelihood of introducing bugs or variation to the playback at all? On that same note, if a card is known to have problems with MIDI playback, is it even remotely possible to fix them with a software solution (like a modded MPU-401 interface driver in Windows, or something like SoftMPU)?

Going a bit further with this... it is my understanding that software (game drivers, whatever it is in Windows) can adapt GM-focused MIDI files so that they can be played by FM (OPl2, OPl3) devices. Does the driver\software that is adapting them change how they sound? For example, if I play back a standard GM-focused MIDI file with a DOS MIDI music player on an OPl3 chip is it going to sound the same as it would in Windows Media Player? Would that same MIDI file likely sound different if it were played back natively in a game if the OPL3 driver was selected?

I've been building a collection of sound cards and I'm starting to wonder how software interacts with them.

Thanks for any input. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the case of playback on a OPL device, yes, there would be a difference in how it sounds, because FM synthesis is different from the synthesis used in General MIDI devices (which is usually PCM sample-based).

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. In case of Win 9x, some sound card drivers may also offer another additional MIDI "device"
which may also provides special support for the extended features of some OPL3 clones (ESS/Crystal etc).
Some sound card drivers for Win 9x also feature MIDI support for DOS games that are run in a "DOS box" (from within Windows)-
In that case, you can either choose normal AdLib/OPL2/OPL3 (native) in the game or select MPU-401/General MIDI,
which behind the scenes either redirects to the physical MIDI port or uses the virtual MIDI device that in turn uses
the enhanced features of the OPL3 clone. The standard MIDI device can be selected from the device manager or MIDI mapper.

Edit: To complicate thing a bit further, there are/were several FM synth drivers for Windows.
Not all sound the same, since they use different ways to translate MIDI notes to OPL commands.
One of the most popular was the Voyetra SuperSAPI synth, I believe.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course, the inverse is also possible: FM commands to General MIDI. You just have to look at the large amount of complaining about the AudioPCI's (and related) "FM" ability to understand that it's not flawless. 🤣

Reply 4 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to bump this for some more feedback pertaining to the four scenarios mentioned above (using a card with hardware wavetable synth).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Just wanted to bump this for some more feedback pertaining to the four scenarios mentioned above (using a card with hardware wavetable synth).

If GM only, using a wavetable card, AFAIK not, unless there are differences between the drivers integrated in the DOS games/programs and/or Windows drivers regarding general device set up (e.g. transpose, use of panning etc.), and whether to use specific effects from the effect block on the GM device.

E.g. On my AudioPCI's software, it is possible to enable playing all MIDI files with the effects enabled, even when the original files lack that setting.