VOGONS

First post, by allCAPPS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a CT1740 and a CT2950. I have my own opinions, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on how these cards compare.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I pretty much sold all my SB16s except for the CT17xx series, simply because that card series works for me.
No Plug'n'Play nightmare, no drivers required, has DSP 4.05 quite often, real OPL3, fully fucntional mixer and "retro-noise". 😁
In comparison, however, some PnP cards can disable (or rather not enable by default) their OPL chip.
That comes in handy if you've got another OPL3 card in the system, I believe. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CT1740 is quite a noisy SB16 card (as Jo22 has stated) but, it is normally MIDI hanging note bug free (depending on the DSP version), has a real OPL3 FM synthesis chip and is configured via jumpers (no PnP).

The CT2950 can either have a real OPL3 FM synthesis chip or CQM synthesis but, it will surely have a buggy DSP version.
It's also a PnP card.

In the end, you will have to decide what suits your needs in terms of what you are looking for in a sound card.

Later models also had an IDE interface on the card as opposed to the older proprietary CD-ROM interfaces but, I still prefer an older non-PnP card.

I think the CT2230 & CT2290 cards are also good options.

Last edited by jesolo on 2019-04-08, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CT2950 comes with and without a real OPL chip. If the OPL chip (YMF289) isn't soldered in, then the card uses Creatives CQM which is a poor OPL emulation.

See the red circled area and check for the presence of both IC's. (Thanks Amoretro for the photos!)

sound_blaster_16_ct2950_creative.jpg
Filename
sound_blaster_16_ct2950_creative.jpg
File size
620.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 4 of 4, by allCAPPS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies!

My first sound card was a SB16 WavEffects. I saved up all my Christmas and birthday money and installed in the family 486, so I have to admit I most closely associate that CQM sound as being "correct" even if it doesn't sound as good. I like the OPL3 though. It definitely sounds better...just less nostalgic.

I've seen a lot of comments about the noise level on the 1740, but I haven't personally had any issue with it yet. Then again, I'm not an audiophile, and it's those imperfections and mysterious problems that arise with old hardware that I enjoy banging my head over. 🤣 I didn't know the 2950 was PnP so that's good to know.

For my purposes playing late 80s/early 90s games on a 486 DOS rig, I was leaning away from the 2950 but thought it might have a some redeeming qualities I was overlooking. Doesn't seem like it. Not to mention, the 1740 keeps with the hardware period I'm loosely going for, 1992-94.

I guess if I get hankering for that good ol' CQM sound, I can always break out the trusty WavEffects. 😁