VOGONS

Reply 500 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried FT2 yesterday as well. It did not work at all. Samples were glitching and everything was weird. I think that its GUS PnP support is maybe broken? ST3 seemed totally fine.

However since Panic is made by the same people that made ST3, I think playing THAT correctly and taking ST3 as the "gold standard" at least for S3Ms would make sense.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 501 of 929, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think for a GUSpnp you should use the FT2 builds that are shared here ( Fasttracker 2.12 for MS-DOS ) on this forum by 8bitbubsy because the last official build has broken GUS support by trying to add GUSpnp functionality.

Reply 502 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did 8bitbubsy explained how he had the code ?
I am on holiday and those period limit were not in my priority. It require lot of test with various trackers to be done correctly.
So expect a fix in 2 ou 3 months...

Reply 503 of 929, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He explained it here:

8bitbubsy wrote on 2018-11-07, 16:29:
Scali wrote:

Where did you get the code from? From the Triton people themselves? Perhaps they want to share the code with me, being a fellow-scener.

From Vogue and Mr.H after some long dialogs, convincing them that it would help me with my FT2 clone development. The code I got from them is an incomplete pre-release version of FT2.07, but I re-sourced it back to 2.09 by hand, and the code/data is bit-perfect to that of FT2.09. I already had the 2.09 replayer laying (from kebby/kb), so after injecting that it was only a matter of looking for changes in comparing disassemblies, which made me find out what to rewrite next. Was not a lot of code.

But he also has - as he explained - made an FT2 clone with the source code on Github.

I must add that I really value the work guys like you do to fill a software niche for retro enthousiasts. So take the time you need 😊.

Reply 506 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@FreddyV: ModMaster still has some problems with dope.mod. See my recordings of the demo and of ModMaster:

https://youtu.be/toS-RJ2moRk

https://youtu.be/bHzZGIrnMDs

Probably not highest priority, but would be neat to have.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 507 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

The sound at the pattern 35 sounds good in my recordings and in DOSBox, verify in your recording if there is no saturation, then you can reduce the main volume in Mod Master.

For modules like this, we need to be carefull about the volume level.

The pitch is a little higher, to be checked with multiple modules and compared to FT2 that is the reference.

I use a table with a 8Bit value divisor when the Number of channels is >14, this is surely not precize enaugh and quite simple to correct.
The "Problem" Disapear surely with the Interwave as we don't need to change the frequency when there is >14 channels

Reply 508 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool, thanks for checking. I was already fearing that we get saturation/clipping. Is there any way to automatically do this? I imagine this is quite hard and only doable when actually playing the file, if at all. With the GUS we probably don't even notice, because we don't mix ourself, but delegate to the card.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 509 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

To see if there is saturation, we need a good hear for that or check if the wave form is clipped when we digitize it.

There is a portion of code reducing the volume table when the Nb of channels is increased.

Reply 510 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

The GUS Volume table update is disabled in the latest version, so you can't try to reduce the volume in the file selection.
Reduce the volume with + / - is working anyway.

I am spent hours saturday and this week to carefully checked the GUS Volume table and Frequencies calculations. Difficult to go back to all this 😀
I tried to adjust the frequency with the Fast Tracker 2 values but it does not work with the Software mixer, but this is what I did in my other player, USMPlay.

Reply 511 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, cool. I will try that eventually. Still, ModMaster XT is currently my goto player. Like it very much. Now that I have the 486 running I might try out Cubic Player again.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 512 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote on 2020-08-19, 15:15:

Ok, cool. I will try that eventually. Still, ModMaster XT is currently my goto player. Like it very much. Now that I have the 486 running I might try out Cubic Player again.

Still using GLX Player because MOD Master skips some Parts of some MOD Files.
Maybe if i find time i will compile then into a ZIP File.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 513 of 929, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know this is offtopic but I wish Cubic Player (or OpenCubic) was forked and fixed. It's regressed .mod playback since 1.7 (1996)

Last edited by leileilol on 2020-08-20, 05:42. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 514 of 929, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I second that. Even playback of other formats has soms small bugs still, and it is less stable. But of all players it is the one with the best allround support until now. Well maybe it can be replaced by a new player that is actively developed, one day…

Reply 516 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Clubic has some bug as well. As I said already 100 times all the trackers has bugs and it is difficult to know them all and then to know witch player play the music right if we don't know the tracker used to do it.
Even demos player can be bugged and do not play their own music right.

Last edited by FreddyV on 2020-08-20, 14:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 517 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2020-08-19, 19:35:
root42 wrote on 2020-08-19, 15:15:

Still using GLX Player because MOD Master skips some Parts of some MOD Files.
Maybe if i find time i will compile then into a ZIP File.

Really ?
Just send me one as the bug can be the same one

Missing part can be due to the loop that is disabled by default to not have the mudic looping forever. You can enable in the options or pressing l
Again best practice not followed by musicians...

Reply 518 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FreddyV wrote on 2020-08-20, 11:57:

I cheched for panic.s3m.
Scream tracker 3 disable the channel when the pitch is too high.
Simple to simulate then.

That sounds... plausible. It is a particularly high pitched voice at that point. Looking forward to a fix!

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 519 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote on 2020-08-20, 13:17:
FreddyV wrote on 2020-08-20, 11:57:

I cheched for panic.s3m.
Scream tracker 3 disable the channel when the pitch is too high.
Simple to simulate then.

That sounds... plausible. It is a particularly high pitched voice at that point. Looking forward to a fix!

I did a small test with a portamento Up.
It really disable the channel so that even if we do a portamento down after that the sound does not come back.