VOGONS

Reply 200 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

Mod Master conflicts with Tandy Card at 0C0h on 386.
If i set the Card to 1E0h it works just fine.

You mean your tandy card ?
There is probably something wrong with it, as no I/O are supposed to be done at these @

I added a code to detect the Tandy DAC, but it is doing only read/Write to a registry, I use a standard detection code.

And the R/W are not done if no Tandy BIOS is present.... Really strange.

Here is the code:

PROCEDURE TDY_DetectDAC; Assembler;
Asm

MOV AX,8100h
INT 1Ah
CMP AX,00C4h {Detect the Tandy DAC BIOS }
JNE @DACDETECT_NODAC

MOV DX,TDY_Port_FreqL
IN AL,DX
MOV CL,AL { Save de Port Value }
XOR AX,AX { Write 0 to the Port }
OUT DX,AL
IN AL,DX
OR AL,AL { Read and Compare }
JNZ @DACDETECT_NOPort

NOT AX { Write 0FFh to the Port }
OUT DX,AX
IN AX,DX
NOT AX
JNZ @DACDETECT_NOPort

MOV AL,CL { Restore the Value }
OUT DX,AL

MOV TDY_Type,2 { Found -> 2 }
JMP @DACDETECT_End
@DACDETECT_NOPort:
MOV AL,CL { Restore the Value }
OUT DX,AL
MOV TDY_Type,1 { Only IRQ Found : 1}
JMP @DACDETECT_End
@DACDETECT_NODAC:
MOV TDY_Type,0 { Not Found -> 0 }
@DACDETECT_End:
End;

Do you mean that due to this, it mess up the sound with other sound devices ?

Reply 201 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

This happens with SB, Covox and Speaker, i have no idea why, is there a Debug Mode ?
GLX Player just works fine here.

On my NEC V20 it works 😀

Are you sure that the mixing frequency is not too High ?

Reply 202 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah its nothing Strange.

I use SB16, and its using the Second DMA Controller.
But Tandy Card at 0c0h is conflicting with DMA Controller #2 on AT Systems.
A XT does not have a Second DMA Controller, and therefore no conflict.

If i remove SB16, problem is gone.

I was not thinking about this because i used Covox.. and it also conflicts with the SB Card when i`m not use it for playback.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 203 of 929, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FreddyV wrote:
Yes it is, you have the Playlist buttons just on the right (Load/Save and so on) […]
Show full quote
keropi wrote:

^ allright!
but does it support to load a saved playlist? need to mess with it more I think... I am using cubic player atm...

Yes it is, you have the Playlist buttons just on the right (Load/Save and so on)

Clubic player is better than MOD Master on a 486, and I have a "Better" Version of Mod Master in VGA.
Anyway, if you like it, it is not a problem for me 😀

The VGA Version of Mod MAster is untouched since 1997, it has some replay bug that Mod Master XT does not have anymore.
(If you search in this thread, I think I did publish Mod Master 2.3)

I don't really care about VGA gfx or other duddah - text mode and playlists are awesome for me... I really must play with the software more - all I did until now is a 10min test of Uncle Tom's Poseidon mod 🤣
I can't believe I missed this so far 😐

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 204 of 929, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have different version of GSLINGER.MOD with the same size. Sounds the same for me, but didn't crash 😀
It may be usefull to compare both versions.

Filename
GUITAR.zip
File size
396.95 KiB
Downloads
37 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 205 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote:

I have different version of GSLINGER.MOD with the same size. Sounds the same for me, but didn't crash 😀
It may be usefull to compare both versions.

GUITAR.zip

Thanks, I already found and corrected this problem it will be in the next release.

Reply 206 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you add a Option to prevent Auto Detection of Devices ? /noauto

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 208 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote:

Teaser for the next release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UwfN0hf79k

Dedicated to MobyGamer 😀

You are insane!

So, I finally had time to test v10 from several weeks ago, and all of my issues are fixed. No more arpeggio issues, no other issues. Even PC Speaker worked @ 11KHz on an 8MHz 8086. This is a remarkable achievement!

Last edited by MobyGamer on 2019-10-06, 03:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 209 of 929, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ @FreddyV: are you emulating the PC speaker through the GUS to play those? Pretty cool.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 210 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MobyGamer wrote:

You are insane!

So, I finally had time to test v10 from several weeks ago, and all of my issues are fixed. No more arpeggio issues, no other issues. Even PC Speaker worked @ 11KHz on an 8MHz 8086. This is a remarkable achievement!

Thanks 😀
There is root42 reporting Bugs so my debug sessions are not finished.

I Will need you because I integrated monotone code and it is taking too much memory. I Will send you my monotone modified code so that you can check.

One of my new goal is to integrate adlib tandy pc speaker music to be able to do a full demonstration of what can be done with an xt.

I Will do 2 two separated executables one for mod and s3m and another with all.
I currently fight to have adlib SAT music working again...

My holidays are comming so code slow down during one month

Reply 211 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

^^ @FreddyV: are you emulating the PC speaker through the GUS to play those? Pretty cool.

Hi.
To play Monotone files ?
I use direct the monotone tracker code

Edit : I understood. It show Gravis for Mod Master code, But monotone code is separated.
Tandy emulation can be there if trixter is motivated To do it... 😀

Reply 212 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote:

I Will need you because I integrated monotone code and it is taking too much memory. I Will send you my monotone modified code so that you can check.

There will never be a monotone file over 64K, so is this really a problem? IIRC the monotone code is just treated as one big array...

One of my new goal is to integrate adlib tandy pc speaker music to be able to do a full demonstration of what can be done with an xt.

That was one goal of MONOTONE v2.0 but I never got around to writing it. The hardest part is finding a tracker that can support FM + tandy + speaker (+ SB digi for digidrums). There is no tracker that can create that kind of thing yet.

Reply 213 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn’t the Planet X3 tracker support either Adlib, Tandy or PC speaker? Or do you mean all at once...?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 214 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It does, but 1. it's not released to the public, and 2. I did mean all at once.

It is possible for a 4.77 MHz Tandy 1000 system to drive, simultaneously (and just barely):

Tandy (3 PSG)
SBPro (2 digi + 18 FM)
Roland SCC-1 (General MIDI + GS)
IBM Music Feature Card (8 FM)
Internal Speaker

...and I suppose, if you want to be really sick, a GUS as well. All can be installed without resource conflicts, but driving 56+ channels may not be possible @ 60Hz due to the variable bus delays required for each card.

The biggest problem is the toolchain: How to compose music for such a monster? And, other than virt, who is talented enough to compose music for such a setup?

Reply 215 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MobyGamer wrote:

There will never be a monotone file over 64K, so is this really a problem? IIRC the monotone code is just treated as one big array...

Hi,

The problem is that Mod Master use the DOS/UMB Memory and Monotone use the Turbo Pascal Heap.
I am obliged to reserve 90Kb of memory for the heap instead of 40Kb usually.
Then, there is 60Kb of memory less for MOD Files loading, this is huge.

I found that the Output Object init need 60Kb, and I did not found why so far:
MyOutput:=new(PPCSpeakerSimple,Init(MyPlayer,false));

Also, Monotone code increase the software size by around 10Kb.

Do you know if there is a way to modify the heap size dynamically ?

Last edited by FreddyV on 2019-10-08, 06:45. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 216 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MobyGamer wrote:

...and I suppose, if you want to be really sick, a GUS as well. All can be installed without resource conflicts, but driving 56+ channels may not be possible @ 60Hz due to the variable bus delays required for each card.

I want to be silly and try an AWE32 on XT 😀

I need to find one with memory…..

Reply 217 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not understand how Turbo Pascal memory management works, I only know how it works on bare metal and C. With C you can allocate as much as you like, depending on your memory model (small...huge). Why can't you tell Pascal to use the whole 640K as its heap, to the extent that it's free? Also, if you are concerned with executable size AND memory size, is putting the code into an overlay a possibility? I know that in C one can do overlays, so I guess Pascal should be able to do the same thing. This way you can load the code only when playing a file that actually needs it.

EDIT: Maybe this helps: https://secondboyet.com/articles/publishedart … slithytove.html

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 218 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

In Turbo pascal, by default it use the full DOS memory available.
We can anyway define its size to continue to allocate the remaining memory for DOS.

I did it this way at that time to fully separate the Player code from the Pascal interface and have the same code for DOS, UMB and EMS memory management.
Also store a reference to a DOS memory block need 16Bit and 32b for the pascal.
We also need to do this to be able to go back to DOS (Mod Master can go to a DOS Shell)

I will have to do something to be able to go to 16Bit mixing, as I need 16Kb more memory for this.

Anyway, my point here is that initialize the PC Speaker Object need 60Kb in monotone core, and I seems to include only a quite small table inside.
I think there is a problem somewhere.