VOGONS

AWE64 Gold change

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 50, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not going to start throwing insults at anybody. And you can squirt and do all you wish but SB16 issues in some old SBpro-only games exist. There is no doubt about it.

I can say that in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file there is SET BLASTER T4 and these issues are still same. If I choose in PoP setup my SP Pro clone card (EWS64, Crystal 4236B) I can switch "Sound Blaster" or "ADLib" mode and sounds really play as 8-bit digital or FM. If I choose in PoP setup my SB16 card (AWE64) I can switch it too but in game I hear only FM sounds like ADLib mode.

Reply 43 of 50, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To the OP, you have a powerful dos machine and I would try to get the AWE64 working as its a great stand alone card with bug free midi.....

The CQM on my soundblaster 32 is pretty much identical to the real thing, unless your a purist wanker I wouldn't bother trying to get the authentic thing because I never noticed anything unusual going back and playing games from my childhood, they sound exactly as I remembered!

Reply 44 of 50, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARUS wrote:

I'm not going to start throwing insults at anybody. And you can squirt and do all you wish but SB16 issues in some old SBpro-only games exist. There is no doubt about it.

All sorts of things exist. The other way as well. For instance, I have games (like Commander Keen, Bio Menace, some versions of Jill of the Jungle) that frequently fail to detect the audio card when I use an SBPro clone (like Audician 32, and I recall having similar problems with an ESS688 when I had one a long time ago), but never once fail when an SB16/AWE64 is used. In fact, I recall that this was one of the reasons I wanted to ditch that ESS688 for a 'genuine' Creative in the first place. Go figure.

PARUS wrote:

I can say that in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file there is SET BLASTER T4 and these issues are still same. If I choose in PoP setup my SP Pro clone card (EWS64, Crystal 4236B) I can switch "Sound Blaster" or "ADLib" mode and sounds really play as 8-bit digital or FM. If I choose in PoP setup my SB16 card (AWE64) I can switch it too but in game I hear only FM sounds like ADLib mode.

Then I have to conclude that it's something specific to your system or to some class of systems. When I choose Adlib in PoP, the sound effects are distinctly different. In fact, they sound like PC Speaker sounds, not FM sounds at all. When I choose Sound Blaster, I get digital audio just fine both with AWE64 and Audician 32.

You can choose to believe me or not, but for myself I feel that I got to the bottom of it. If you continue saying that SB16/AWE64 generally cannot play digital sounds in PoP 1.3, I will continue pointing out that you are wrong.

I actually have a suspicion that the problem you experience have to do not with the AWE64, but with your dual-card setup (assuming you were running your tests on the system that has the two sound cards).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 45 of 50, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARUS wrote:

If you mean hanging notes bug it's MPU part and isn't relevant to 8-bit SB Pro mode issues. What do you really mean "less buggy" if not MPU part?

Nothing to do with MPU or hanging notes, buggy DSP with single cycle DMA

Reply 46 of 50, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dr_st 😀 No, I did it with single AWE64. Suspicion is false unfortunately. And if it could be so simple solution I would know about it already.
No, I pulled out all devices to check it truly a long time ago.

Reply 49 of 50, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. I've repeated several SB16/AWE cards PoP running on a few systems.
Duron-1200 --- FM
Pentium II-266 --- SFX!!!
Core2Duo downclocked to 1,33GHz --- FM
Core2Duo downclocked to 166MHz --- SFX!!!
It depends to system speed. It not depends to T4/T6 values.
It is possible to recheck it on P3-500, P3-1000, P4-1600, P4 downclocked to 200MHz. But I think everything became clear.

Reply 50 of 50, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My system where it works with SFX is a K6-II @500MHz. This might give an idea of where things start breaking.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys