VOGONS

First post, by genau_der

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I have this particular soundcard, see here.
It's basically working with the ES1868F drivers from Phil's website, but the volume is extremely low.
Turned the volume all the way up in the DOS mixer app, in Windows 98 SE also everything on max level.
Tried the jumpers behind the output jack in the other position, but then it's completely quiet.
Also tried multiple DOS and Windows Games and MP3 Playback in Winamp. I can barely hear anything in usual volume knob position, when I turn my amplifier all the way up it's still quite low volume but with lots of noise.
Should I maybe try to replace the capacitors? They're still looking good, not bulged or leaked, but who knows.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Don't want to give up on that one too early.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Image you linked to is on computer-retro.de so I assume you linked a stock photo? Post an image of your card so we can inspect it for any visually obvious failed or missing components.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 7, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
had a close look at one of the photos you uploaded, can't find anything wrong with it, but I'm not a pro.

That LM1877 beetle is the amplifier chip, the data sheet can be found as PDF here.
It says that thing is rated for a supply voltage up to 24 Volts and the power rating seem rather weak to begin with.
The best a PC Sound card can provide are 12 V.
If you own a voltmeter, you could check Pin 14 (upper right corner) during use for what the card actually caters here.

I'd assume, those jumpers are the usual ones to bypass the amp altogether and provide line level at the line out connector. If I'm right, you should still hear enough with an amp behind that.

So, with headphones or passive speakers, I would suggest that's the best you'll get with the cheap onboard amp at 12 V.

But if an external Amp doesn't cut it in any configuration, thats rather weird. Might really be something wrong with it.

Please post any new findings you might have, thanks.

I'm interested in bying the same thing atm. If I get it for a good price, I'll let you know my results, as soon as I get to it.

I like jumpers.

Reply 5 of 7, by genau_der

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
suntac wrote on 2019-04-11, 21:54:

The 3D Sound 230X-3 card requires the −5V line to work properly. Some newer power supplies don't provide it.

That was the hint in the right direction. My psu was to new, so it didn't provide -5V anymore. I swapped it for an older one and now everything is working perfectly!

Reply 6 of 7, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
genau_der wrote on 2020-03-25, 20:10:

My psu was to new, so it didn't provide -5V anymore.

Interesting. So the -5 V might be what elevates the Vcc of the amp to an adequate level... Or it's simply needed elsewhere.

But, good to know - plenty of old and very old PSUs around here. Thanks!

I like jumpers.

Reply 7 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you like, this card (including a board shot) would definitely fit in the -5V ISA Cards thread.
Re: ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder