VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I recently picked up a fully functional Packard Bell PB5310 desktop with the original monitor and keyboard. It has a Pentium 75Mhz, 40MB EDO (upgraded to 72MB), 1MB CL-GD5430 (upgraded to 2MB) onboard video, ~600MB hard drive, 4x NEC CDROM and an Aztech MMSN841 AZT2316R-based soundcard\modem with a real Yamaha OPL3. It has Windows 95a and what looks like all of the original Packard Bell software installed (mostly shortcuts to things on CDs). Amazingly, I picked up a pile of CDs from a thrift store last year and got what appears to be the entire set of disks that would have been bundled with a PB from this era. The disks all match the shortcuts on this system... score! 😀

Anyway, this is apparently identical to my wife's first PCs and she has fond memories of playing with one of these back in the day so it seems like we might actually be able to keep it around for a while. My daughter has already enjoyed playing with Spiderman Cartoon Maker (which is HYSTERICAL, and my wife was very happy when I found the disk for it last year).

Since it will be staying with us, I decided to try to keep it mostly stock but with some add-ons for extra functionality. I liked the idea of making use of one of my decent wavetable-based sound cards for this system to give it some extra music options (because why not? I have a huge collection of them... it seems silly to not put one in a PC that's actually going to be used). I thought an Ensoniq OPUS would be a good option since it has excellent wavetable (1MB ROM) and doesn't have much overlapping functionality with the Aztech card (no SBPro or WSS compatibility, no OPL3).

I knew it'd be a pain in the butt to manage the resources, but now that I've "fixed" the issues, it still doesn't work right! After much tinkering, there are no resource conflicts reported in Windows, and yet I will still get a box that pops up and tells me that the Aztech card "isn't responding properly" and that I should reconfigure it (seems to be a message from the sound card's driver? I've never seen a message like this before, though it could be win95 specific). I get a few sound effects from the Aztech card before it does this but it never sounds quite right. I usually get no Windows startup sound... only a few short sound effects from Windows themes before they stop all together. The errors seems to come up whenever the first sound plays.

What finally allowed me to get rid of resource conflicts was to switch the "PNP OS" BIOS option to "NO". This was the first system I've ever had that actually had it set to "YES", so I left it alone until the end. I'm not sure if it's related, but even though I disable COM1, COM2 and LPT1 in the BIOS, they still show up in windows. I've disabled them in device manager, but could it be possible they are still causing issues? I have tried the "reset configuration data" setting multiple times as well.

If anyone has any suggestions as to why these cards wouldn't work together, even when Windows reports no resource conflicts, I'd love to know.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have disabled the Sound Blaster emulation of the Ensoniq since the Aztech has that already. I've disabled basically everything optional. In device manager under sound devices I only have "Packard Bell Sound Card" and "Ensoniq Soundscape OPUS" listed, with no disabled or conflicting devices. The add hardware wizard doesn't find any lost components that are floating around looking for resources either. Independently the cards work fine but I have to physically remove one from the system to get everything working, whether there are any conflicts or not. Even with no drivers installed for one of them, the other still doesn't work properly in Windows. I don't have them both set up in DOS at the moment since this system will mostly be running early Windows applications, but when I run config.exe for the Aztech card, everything is set properly and the diagnostics all work perfectly (OPL3, 8bit and 16bit audio), and this is with the OPUS in the system (with no DOS drivers though).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not familiar with the Opus, but the Aztech 2316R is an old favorite. It's a pretty simple non-PnP card with config program for resources, and is completely SBPro2.0 compatible (except it lacks the bugs and has less noise).

The question here is whether the issue is between the two (non-PnP) cards, or something stupid Win95 does. I'd recommend booting into pure DOS and see what happens when you attempt to use sound (i.e. run any old game supporting Soundblaster). If you have the same issues as in Windows it's a hardware thing. Most likely though that won't happen and it will as usual turn out to be Win95. Worst-case you might be in for a reinstall as Win95 doesn't like being installed with PnP OS Yes and then having it turned off - but maybe someone else with more patience with Win95 knows an easier route...

Reply 2 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the tips.

I tried changing some more things and no matter what I did the cards just wouldn't cooperate in Windows. I'd get sound sometimes, but most of the time I'd get nothing... it is very broken up and intermittent. Generally, the longer the sound effect the less likely it was to play in Windows. In DOS the Aztech works fine without changing anything else. By simply taking the OPUS out, the Aztech immediately works perfectly in Windows.

It's possible that totally reinstalling Windows 95 (perhaps B) and starting from scratch with a fresh driver install for both cards could make it work, but at this point I don't have any more free time to put into this. The system works great so its hard to justify the 6 hours I put into trying to get it working with a Soundscape just for the wavetable playback. It's much more practical to just put the Soundscape back in the collection and hook up an SC-7 for even better MIDI playback.

I have a feeling that a pure DOS or possibly Windows 3.11 machine is much better for multi-soundcard systems. Windows 95 is probably the LAST OS you'd want to do this with, so I'm going to stop trying. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not entirely sure why, but I have *vastly* more issues with getting sound to work in Win95 than in Win98. Not just multi-card setups either. Either it works first time or I end up giving up after much rending of hairs.

However, for multi-card setups, nothing beats good old non-PnP devices and pure DOS. Yes it's primitive, but *I* decide who gets which resource and no one else interferes 😉