VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am trying to internally route a CT4520 AWE64 Value's Line Out to the Aux In of a Turtle Beach Montenego and the SPK/LINE header seems to be perfectly suited for the task. To quote the manual, the pinout is:

Pin	Description	                           I/O
1 Left channel line level audio Out
2 Right channel line level audio Out
3 Pin is cut to provide keyed connection -
4 Analog Ground -
5 Left channel speaker out audio Out
6 Right channel speaker out audio Out

Perfect. Except not a single one of the 4 such cards that I have has a cut pin to key the connection, and neither are any of them marked to show whether this header is sequential or staggered. Does anyone know?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After some trial and error I found out that it was a staggered header, not sequential. Just leaving this here in case someone needs the info later on.

Reply 2 of 19, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a CT4520 recently, the card shipped with SPK/LINE header jumpered like this.

spk_line.jpg
Filename
spk_line.jpg
File size
83.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

What does the jumpers do here?

BTW, I also found that the card came with an spdif header without soldered pins. Does this mean the card support digital output potentially? What if I solder the pins to it?

spdif.jpg
Filename
spdif.jpg
File size
120.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Constantly looking for the driver for Acer Magic v1 MPEG decoding card.

Reply 3 of 19, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SPDIF one gives TTL signal (not usable for coax as is) of only the EMU8000+CQM, it will not have any of the SB sound in it so the usefulness is a bit limited.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SPK/Line enables (SPK) or disables (Line level) the onboard amplifier chip.

EDIT: This is wrong.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2023-08-16, 15:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-08-16, 04:48:

SPDIF one gives TTL signal (not usable for coax as is) of only the EMU8000+CQM, it will not have any of the SB sound in it so the usefulness is a bit limited.

Not sure if there's any difference between the AWE64 Gold and Value versions with regards to the SPDIF header, but SPDIF output on my CT4390 works just fine with a passive RCA bracket that I cobbled together myself. Here's a picture and some music recordings.

As you say, it's mostly useful for recording AWE and CQM music, but it is possible to also output PCM if the source is 44.1 KHz 16-bit stereo. In this post I showcase Deus Ex running at those settings and correctly outputting via SPDIF.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 19, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-16, 06:42:

SPK/Line enables (SPK) or disables (Line level) the onboard amplifier chip.

So what is the point of having two separate external connectors(Line Out [green] / SKP Out [black]) when there is a on/off switch of the onboard amplifier chip? I'd assume that both Line Out and SPK Out output amplified signal if the onboard amplifier is turned on by jumpers and vice versa.

What's the current state of the amplifier? Is it turned on? If that is the case how can I turn it off?

Will this work:
5 [3 1]
6 [4 2]

Reply 7 of 19, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-08-16, 07:00:

Not sure if there's any difference between the AWE64 Gold and Value versions with regards to the SPDIF header, but SPDIF output on my CT4390 works just fine with a passive RCA bracket that I cobbled together myself. Here's a picture and some music recordings.

As you say, it's mostly useful for recording AWE and CQM music, but it is possible to also output PCM if the source is 44.1 KHz 16-bit stereo. In this post I showcase Deus Ex running at those settings and correctly outputting via SPDIF.

Just straight through adapter like that is not a good way. The chip output is not at all meant to drive a 75ohm load of SPDIF coax connection and will have to dissipate excessive current, there's also no ESD protection so you may kill the output when connecting/disconnecting the cable. The very least there should be a resistor divider which will get the signal level right and dramatically reduce load on the logic level output and with it reduce any effects of ESD issues as the current of those pulses gets reduced aswell and the internal ESD protection diodes of the chip have bigger chance of surviving. Proper way has 374 ohm resistor in series with the incoming signal and 90.9ohm one to ground, forming a divider, and ideally there's a 1:1 pulse transformer on this output to create galvanic separation to break ground loops etc. that may form.

I forgot about the 16bit 44100Hz Stereo PCM output capability. From what I see it only worked in Windows, at least I could never get any DOS game to output anything over the SPDIF output.

Reply 8 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK I just checked and not a single one of the 6 CT4520s I own have that jumper.

Actually, I have used that HEADER to route Line Out from the card to another card internally, it would seem.

So no, I am WRONG, that header is not an amplifier on/off jumper at all. It is, apparently an internal SPK/Line Out header.

I THINK the pinout is something similar to below:

LL NC SL
LR GN SR

Or some such. Remove the jumpers for safe operation.

Reply 9 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-08-16, 15:05:

Just straight through adapter like that is not a good way. The chip output is not at all meant to drive a 75ohm load of SPDIF coax connection and will have to dissipate excessive current, there's also no ESD protection so you may kill the output when connecting/disconnecting the cable.

Cheers, I'll try to find a better solution then. Didn't realize it could cause damage to the card.

I forgot about the 16bit 44100Hz Stereo PCM output capability. From what I see it only worked in Windows, at least I could never get any DOS game to output anything over the SPDIF output.

Me neither. I tried Duke3D and Crusader: No Remorse in pure DOS, both of which have support for 44.1 KHz 16-bit stereo and got no sound from either of them. Under Windows, playing a 44.1 KHz WAV or MP3 file will work fine too.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 10 of 19, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just straight through adapter like that is not a good way. The chip output is not at all meant to drive a 75ohm load of SPDIF coax connection and will have to dissipate excessive current, there's also no ESD protection so you may kill the output when connecting/disconnecting the cable. The very least there should be a resistor divider which will get the signal level right and dramatically reduce load on the logic level output and with it reduce any effects of ESD issues as the current of those pulses gets reduced aswell and the internal ESD protection diodes of the chip have bigger chance of surviving. Proper way has 374 ohm resistor in series with the incoming signal and 90.9ohm one to ground, forming a divider, and ideally there's a 1:1 pulse transformer on this output to create galvanic separation to break ground loops etc. that may form.

Very helpful information! There was a thread about adding SPDIF to a CT4520. I think your precious info should be linked to that one in case others will find it in the future.

Reply 11 of 19, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-16, 15:09:
OK I just checked and not a single one of the 6 CT4520s I own have that jumper. […]
Show full quote

Actually, I have used that HEADER to route Line Out from the card to another card internally, it would seem.

So no, I am WRONG, that header is not an amplifier on/off jumper at all. It is, apparently an internal SPK/Line Out header.

LL NC SL
LR GN SR

I think it's the previous owner who misunderstood the header for a switch, hence the jumpers setting.

BTW, I'm wondering why you got yourself 6 CT4520s.

Reply 12 of 19, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GunKneeNeon wrote on 2023-08-16, 15:45:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-16, 15:09:
OK I just checked and not a single one of the 6 CT4520s I own have that jumper. […]
Show full quote

LL NC SL
LR GN SR

I think it's the previous owner who misunderstood the header for a switch, hence the jumpers setting.

BTW, I'm wondering why you got yourself 6 CT4520s.

You never know when you might need one. Or six.

Reply 13 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To follow up on this, I recently saw a picture of an unboxed AWE64 Gold, and the official SPDIF bracket doesn't appear to have any additional circuitry. It's seems to be completely passive, unless Creative stowed away some components inside the actual cable.

This looks fairly similar to my homemade bracket, albeit with better cable shielding. Not sure what to make of that.

Reply 14 of 19, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is definitely gonna hide at least one resistor in the heatshrink. Other factor is that the Coax device receiving a TTL signal is not required to survive being subjected to the possibly much higher voltage level (depending on how much current the source can push into the 75ohm termination), it is most unlikely that it is just a straight cable.

Reply 15 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-09-25, 12:02:

That is definitely gonna hide at least one resistor in the heatshrink. Other factor is that the Coax device receiving a TTL signal is not required to survive being subjected to the possibly much higher voltage level (depending on how much current the source can push into the 75ohm termination), it is most unlikely that it is just a straight cable.

I think you may be right about resistor(s) being hidden beneath the heatshrink at the base of the bracket. Here's a slightly better picture which shows a bit more detail:

zh5cyccj3h841.jpg

Maybe someone who has one of these original brackets would be willing to take off the heatshrink and examine it more thoroughly, for research and replication purposes.

Reply 16 of 19, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was under the impression that the gold contained all the passives to condition the signal on the card, as opposed to the other AWE cards which did not

Reply 17 of 19, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right, I had totally forgotten about it. Gold indeed has an actual line-driver chip on it for the SDPIF output. AWE has a straight signal from EMU8000 and that definitely needs additional effort.

Reply 18 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-09-25, 13:39:

You're right, I had totally forgotten about it. Gold indeed has an actual line-driver chip on it for the SDPIF output.

So a completely passive coaxial SPDIF bracket would be fine for the AWE64 Gold after all?

Reply 19 of 19, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, only for Gold but not any of the others.