VOGONS

First post, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few weeks ago, I discovered that there is out there somewhere, a laptop with its own built-in wavetable, provided by the Yamaha OPL3-SA3 audio and the OPL4 wavetable chip.
This resulted in me getting hold of one working one, and one very broken one, because the broken one had some parts the working one needed. The broken one has a broken screen, damaged casing, what looked like some damage from being taken apart previously and battery corrosion, but it did have a working CD drive, which the good one lacked 😀

So now I have an unworkable laptop motherboard with a YMF721 attached to it. I have the same OPL3-SA3+OPL4 combo on an Intel AL440LX motherboard, but they're stuck to the motherboard, which is no good, I want something movable.
The OPL4 wavetable chip is something I've wanted on an ISA card for a while - there are occasionally YMF719 cards that pop-up on ebay that have the OPL4 chip attached, but they sell for too much imo. There was also Tiido's card (which I'm still pretty interested in) but that's not cooked yet.

The broken laptop has a YMF721 chip on the board, which is the first one I've got hold of where the thing it's attached to is in a non-working state. Which is great, it means I can use it for other things, without harvesting from a working device.

There are a few YMF719 cards that have the square outline of the YMF721/YMF704 on the card, but no chip fitted though.
This MF-719 that I purchased from a seller in Ukraine seemed like a perfect candidate:

MF-719-before.jpg
Filename
MF-719-before.jpg
File size
252.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But strangely there are no pictures of the "MF-719" board ever having an OPL4 chip fitted. Tiido's got some of the best pictures of YMF71x cards, including a few different cards with the wavetable chip fitted and those were great to check for a reference.

So here it is all put together:

MF-719-withOPL4.jpg
Filename
MF-719-withOPL4.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The datasheets on here say the wavetable chip should just need the 74LS245 (SN74LS245N) IC that goes in the bottom left.
I soldered the SMD components and chip with solder paste, which I haven't used before and it got messy. That's how I ended up damaging most of those pads in the lower left - which thankfully are not connected to anything.
I used 10k resistors and 0.1uf capacitors for each of the unpopulated SMD resistor and capacitor pads. I'm not totally sure that R39 & R40 are needed, it was working without those.
Note there's a blue jumper on JP3 - that changes something to do with the mode the soundcard is operating in and without that, the YMF721 output was really badly distorted but did 'work'.

With the chip fitted, the card behaves in Windows & DOS just like my AL440LX does, with a fairly good sounding basic wavetable.

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have done a similar thing to few other YMF71x cards having a spot for YMF704/721. It works pretty well ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please forgive the necro, but I recently found a card that might work. Anybidea if this might me a good candidate for OPL4 being soldered in?

V

Attachments

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 3 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In theory you solder on the chip and the few passives nearby, move SJ1 to different position and there should be sound.

Reply 5 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, and not for this particular card. I do have one but no spare YMF704/721 chips to verify that this will work. YMF701 works a bit different than the later YMF711/715/718/719 chips, and it has no proper documenation available either unlike the later chips.

Reply 6 of 7, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will stay on the lookout for a 719 card then since I would like to mess around with OPL4. Even if it's the cut down version.

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 7 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These chips are OPL4-ML(2) which are not quite the actual OPL4 (YMF278). OPL4-ML (YMF704) and OPL4-ML2 (YMF721) are OPL4 + CPU + 1MB sample ROM all in one self contained application for turning MIDI into music, something the actual OPL4 cannot do on its own. Some OPL4 bearing cards have a CPU on them that does the task, but most need Windows driver to do the MIDI to OPL4 translation (though Yamaha SW20PC has hardware help for capturing MIDI data and can utilise a TSR in DOS for this but Windows driver is much more featured than the TSR). Bare OPL4 (YMF278) is OPL3 + 24 channel PCM sampler/ROMpler in one chip, that does nothing on its own.