VOGONS

First post, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if the 2041 or 2048 reference drivers for the Aureal Vortex 2 be hacked to run on Windows ME? I know Windows ME can accept VxDs in a pinch and I wanted to try this for my personal amusement. For some reason, I can get the stock drivers to pick up in the device manager. Thoughts?

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 1 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't remember what driver I used but I've had it running before.

You will probably want to run an older revision (~2015), because WinME runs a minimum of DirectX 7.1 and anything after DirectX 7.0a is trouble with Aureal's later drivers. At least in my experience. With drivers after about 2015 I've found that some/most games will lock the system up if you quit a game and try to run it again. ddhelp.exe or the kernel will give an error and then frozen.

A card vendor driver release should work ok too because they are usually rather old revisions.

Reply 2 of 2, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I don't remember what driver I used but I've had it running before.

You will probably want to run an older revision (~2015), because WinME runs a minimum of DirectX 7.1 and anything after DirectX 7.0a is trouble with Aureal's later drivers. At least in my experience. With drivers after about 2015 I've found that some/most games will lock the system up if you quit a game and try to run it again. ddhelp.exe or the kernel will give an error and then frozen.

A card vendor driver release should work ok too because they are usually rather old revisions.

This was the answer I was looking for. I'll check the VOGONS driver database later this evening and give it a try. Thanks.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁