VOGONS

First post, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ds301-board-front.jpg

ds301-board-back.jpg

I've searched every which way I can think of, and I haven't been able to find absolutely anything about the two main chips on either side of this sound board. One is made by GPS, the other is made by TI. Can anyone clue me in on what they are and what they do?

Reply 1 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering it's made by "Digispeech" and has a telephone jack, I'd bet anything it's an automated voice telephone board of some sort (robocaller or robo-answerer.) That TI chip is likely a variant of the widely-used Speak&Spell / TI99 speech synth.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 5, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's actually an RJ-45 jack for hooking up a proprietary speaker to the unit, and the hardware depicted above was capable of CD-quality (16-bit, stereo, 44.1 KHz) sound, as well as Sound Blaster emulation (FM Synthesis & Digital Audio) and AdLib support, on a parallel port.

That's why I was interested in the chips, I've never seen either of them used on PC sound hardware before.

Reply 3 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TI D320 is probably custom version of what wiki describes as

DM320 has an ARM926 core and a TMS320 C5409 DSP

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a Texas Instruments DSP named TMS32053. Think that's the family name. Thought it was more of a late 90's (1997-1998) chip tho.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 5, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies so far, looks like I have a solid lead on the TI. Anyone have any ideas on the GPS chip? Is that some sort of ASIC? I couldn't find much information regarding the company GPS, due to the search pollution from the usual usage of GPS. Anyone know much about this company or what kind of chips they made?