VOGONS

SBFMDRV

Topic actions

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some very early games and some demos needed this driver?
I don't know what it exactly does and if there are additional files needed.
What I know is, that my ESS1688 does not recognize taito's adlib implementation
on bubblebobble and arkanoid2-doh.
If I load SBFMDRV before starting these games, ADLIB is found, but if I choose
Adlib I do not hear sound.

Normally Adlib/FM works everywhere with that ESS-Card. Only these titles
refuse to work. I don't know why.

Do You have a tip for me?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SBFMDRV is used by some Creative's software bundled with early Sound Blasters, I forgot what exactly, perhaps Intelligent Organ and/or PLAYCMF ?
As for some games not detecting Adlib... maybe the machine you're running them on is too fast?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, just had a look...
Arkanoid 2 doesn't detect sound card, for Adlib you need to run it with "ark2 a" command, then the config is stored in DOH.CFG, so next time you need no command line parameters.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bubble Bobble doesn't detect sound card either, instead reads config from BUBBOB.CFG
Delete that file, and then it should ask what devices to use.

Reply 6 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, if the former post was misleading.

I already figured out that deleting the cfg let the game ask the settings again, but it says ADLIB is not detected.
If I choose ADLIB I have no sound at all.
If I run SBFMDRV before starting the game and deleting the cfg it detects ADLIB and it can be choosen without reporting an error, but it's the same, I hear nothing. All other games ran fine on that ESS-1688 in Adlib on that machine.

I suggest that the ADLIB implementation of the old taito games does not work on ESS1688 FM.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there may be some incompatibility.
I recall playing Arkanoid 2 with some ESS card - worked fine, but I reckon it was ES1869.
Anyway, make sure that ESS card is properly initialized: ESSCFG, ESSVOL, or something like that.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try sound.com, too ?

Attachments

• Filename
    sound.zip
    File size
    14.36 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neither Arkanoid 2 nor Bubble Bobble use SOUND.COM
However, it's a good idea to try SOUND.COM, and some games which uses it (eg. Locomotion), to see if they properly detect and operate Adlib.