VOGONS

First post, by TravistyOJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there, first post, but I've gotten tons of great information as I put together my first retro PC rig. It's a Optiplex GX110 with a P3 500, 256MB of RAM. On one disk, I'm running DOS 6.22. I've got a Labway OPL3-SAx (which has the MPU-401) and I'm having difficulty getting it configured to properly drive an Roland SC-55. I'm sure the Roland SC-55 works, as I've used my USB-MIDI cable on my modern rig to drive it. The SB portion of the Labway card is working properly, and I've run the SETUPSA.EXE program to adjust settings. I have a brand new MIDI cable.

I started with DOOM, as I know that supports sound canvas. After configuring it to use Sound Canvas, I run it, and oddly I get nothing when I plug into MIDI IN 1, and random notes when I plug into MIDI IN 2. Does this have anything to do with the card's SB and MIDI using same IRQ?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I factory reset the SC-55

Reply 1 of 2, by TravistyOJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fairly certain the issue is with a low quality MIDI cable. Opened it up, and its just directly mapping pins with no actual circuit. I've found threads that there should at least be some sort of simple circuit with an optocoupler. I snipped off the game port in and midi in cables, and that improved some, more notes come through, but still very poor quality. I've ordered another cable, this time a vintage Hosa adapter, so I'll retry when that comes in. Do not but the cheap Chinese MIDI cable off ebay, total waste of money.

Reply 2 of 2, by rseron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TravistyOJ wrote:

Hey there, first post, but I've gotten tons of great information as I put together my first retro PC rig. It's a Optiplex GX110 with a P3 500, 256MB of RAM. On one disk, I'm running DOS 6.22. I've got a Labway OPL3-SAx (which has the MPU-401) and I'm having difficulty getting it configured to properly drive an Roland SC-55. I'm sure the Roland SC-55 works, as I've used my USB-MIDI cable on my modern rig to drive it. The SB portion of the Labway card is working properly, and I've run the SETUPSA.EXE program to adjust settings. I have a brand new MIDI cable.

I started with DOOM, as I know that supports sound canvas. After configuring it to use Sound Canvas, I run it, and oddly I get nothing when I plug into MIDI IN 1, and random notes when I plug into MIDI IN 2. Does this have anything to do with the card's SB and MIDI using same IRQ?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I factory reset the SC-55

Hi there everyone!

I have the same issue.
I used using my Sound Canvas 55 MK II with my Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold and a MIDI cable to play Doom. Suddenly today didn't work when I played Doom as used do. Just sound effects works! And when I direct sound music to SB's Wavetable in the SETUP of the game, the MIDI music works fine.

I verified IRQs etc in the CTCU and don't have conflicts or issues.
The MIDI Port was 330, but for test I modified the port to 300 in CTCU, restart computer and don't work too.

Isn't common the MIDI cable crash suddenly.
What can I do to fix it?

(Sorry for my bad English).