VOGONS

First post, by lj68000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I have ESS Audio Drive ISA sound card with ESS1878s chip unknown brand this card is highly integrated with no jumpers at all it is pnp card.
I found that if volume levels are set to high I have crackling and poping coming from speakers there is essvol app for dos to change volume levels but some games for example Super Frog will set master volume level to the highest possible in that case 14 and this cause sound distortion and crackling I can set volume level to 8 but as soon as I start Super Frog volume will go all the way up I am using drivers from here preinstalled package updated by Gerwin.
Also is those sound distortions and cracklings could be caused by low quality capacitors ? this card have amplified output there is no way to turn it off no jumpers for it.
I know its no the greatest sound card but this is my only option for now my sound blaster 16 died card is not detected same with Opti 931 really dissapointed because it arrived dead.
I attached pic of this card its not mine but it looks same.
Really appreciate any help.

Attachments

• PICT1278.JPG
    Filename
    PICT1278.JPG
    File size
    125.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm more familiar with ES1868/1869 based cards that have jumpers to disable the onboard amp. Does this card have anything like that in software?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 2, by lj68000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi gdjacobs ES1878 chip share same drivers and software as ES1868 Esscfg and Essvol no way to turn off amp in software.
I will have closer look at this card today there must be way to turn volumes down I might look at schematic if I can find one or amp pinout, will post it later if any progress been done 😀.
Thanks